VMware Cloud Community
sutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot Run SSH Command on remote server

I've never had this problem before but in a fairly simple workflow I'm getting the below error logs:

[I] using default

[I] Connecting with key pair (../conf/vco_key)

[I] Unable to execute command: InternalError: Identity file not found ! (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#15) (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#31)

I'm not telling the command to login using a key so I'm not sure why it continues to do it.  I've never had this issue before, is it a server side problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm, strange. The logs indicate that passwordAuthentication boolean input parameter has false value.

When you start the workflow presentation, on Authentication step, what is the default state of the Yes/No radio buttons? Could you click them back and forth a few times, and select Yes radio button before continuing to the next step (just to make sure that there is no issue with default/uninitialized value)?

If the above doesn't help, there could be some issue with the particular versions of vRO server and/or SSH plug-in. Could you tell which versions/build numbers of vRO server and SSH plug-in do you use?

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is this a new orchestrator deployment?  If so you need to run the workflow to generate the key file and then also register it on the host you are trying to ssh to.

0 Kudos
CAlleaume
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into the same problem and realized that I have multiple Orchestrator nodes.

You need to generate the keys on every host.

0 Kudos
citizen95
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I just faced the same issue with vra/vro 8.x and I'm updating the thread in case someone else needs an explanation and/or the process.

By default, vro is using the key file and not the password authentication (as passwordAuthentication = false).

if you want to use the password to connect you need to set it to true (or click the checkbox).

if you want to use the key file and you have multiple vra/vro nodes you need to manually share the key file for all the nodes.

As vra/vro 8.x is using kubernetes the process is a bit specific: https://virtit.wordpress.com/2020/09/28/ssh-keys-in-vrealize-orchestrator-8-x-and-dealing-with-kuber...