VMware Cloud Community
Burak201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Basic operations with vCO

Hello all,

Our db team generate some txt file and I have to zip this file and send some ftp site... This operation periodic and i repeat every day.

I  need a workflow for move file, copy file, zip file and send to ftp site...
Is possible this operation with vco...

Thank you

------------------------------------------------------------------ http://burakvardar.wordpress.com
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I can think of quite a few ways you could do this with vCO.  In my environment we use vCO installed on windows hosts.  The windows hosts where vCO is installed contain quite a bit of other software which we have created workflow wrappers around.  Some of the software we have created vco wrappers for include various windows based cli's, VMwares ova/ovf management tools, Windows AD commands, etc.  You can very easily initiate local commands which could be any powershell or batch scripts you have created.  We also wrap some powershell stuff.  If you have the appliance or a linux based install obviously you'll need shell script or whatever you prefer in that environment.

There is also the ssh plugin which we use fairly heavily in our environment for various tasks.  I have some general purpose scripting hosts for making calls to various utils we have developed in house along with wrapping linux based cli's for a few different products.

There is also another great utility that is posted here Guest script manager package for running scripts in a virtual machine.  We use this utility quite a bit for new deployments and other configuration management tasks post provisioning.

You will also find that vCO has some very simple file management capabilities so if you just need to move some files around or open one up an process it you can do so if it is text or xml.

Hope this helps. Don't forget there is also the REST and SOAP plugin for leveraging any products that have one of these api's.

Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Bugatt1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I guess vCO operates only with vSphere objects..

0 Kudos
Burak201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

maybe, i can use ps scripts in workflow...

------------------------------------------------------------------ http://burakvardar.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I can think of quite a few ways you could do this with vCO.  In my environment we use vCO installed on windows hosts.  The windows hosts where vCO is installed contain quite a bit of other software which we have created workflow wrappers around.  Some of the software we have created vco wrappers for include various windows based cli's, VMwares ova/ovf management tools, Windows AD commands, etc.  You can very easily initiate local commands which could be any powershell or batch scripts you have created.  We also wrap some powershell stuff.  If you have the appliance or a linux based install obviously you'll need shell script or whatever you prefer in that environment.

There is also the ssh plugin which we use fairly heavily in our environment for various tasks.  I have some general purpose scripting hosts for making calls to various utils we have developed in house along with wrapping linux based cli's for a few different products.

There is also another great utility that is posted here Guest script manager package for running scripts in a virtual machine.  We use this utility quite a bit for new deployments and other configuration management tasks post provisioning.

You will also find that vCO has some very simple file management capabilities so if you just need to move some files around or open one up an process it you can do so if it is text or xml.

Hope this helps. Don't forget there is also the REST and SOAP plugin for leveraging any products that have one of these api's.

Paul

JMC13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how do you create a workflow wrapper for "other software"  also is there any way around having to disable UAC to get guest script manager to work?

0 Kudos