VMware Cloud Community
virtteam2014
Contributor
Contributor

Adding vCenter 7.0.1 to VRO 7.6

Hi,

I got an up and running vRO 7.6 instance with VCenter authentication configured.

Target VCenter is 7.0.1 -  16858589.

Unfortunately, I am not able to add the VCenter to the vRO inventory.

Tried several times, the workflow finishes but I can't access the inventory with error message.

Any solution?

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mouyaq
Contributor
Contributor

Try to upgrade your vcenter plugin for vro.

Which version of vcenter plugin do you have?

0 Kudos
AdamCSC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

where is the download of the lastest vRO plugin for vCenter 7.x?   It is really hard to find

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

They are actually found in the documents section of this board... the most recent version of the 6.5 plugin will work with the 7.x vCenters.   You'll probably want the VAPI plugin as well.

VAPI https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vRealize-Orchestrator-Documents/Technical-Preview-version-of-VMwar...

vCenter https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vRealize-Orchestrator-Documents/vRO-vCenter-plug-in-for-vSphere-6-...

You will see a bunch of different versions you want Version 6.5.0-16904859 (built 2020-09-16) I think this is the direct link to the download https://communities.vmware.com/wbsdv95928/attachments/wbsdv95928/13006/793/11/o11nplugin-vsphere-6.5... 

0 Kudos
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also ran into this issue today, same error message. Actually tried to add vCenter 7.0 via the thick Java client, and that just failed outright. Only the web UI completed the workflow, but the error is the same. I'm a bit apprehensive to install one of these tech preview vcenter plugins, especially since I dont see anything in any of the version notes that explicitly call out vcenter/vsphere 7.0 support?

I'm running the default 6.5.0.12799420 vCenter Plug-In that came with VCO 7.6.

We're submitting a support case to confirm.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You just need the most recent plugin... see my links above.

0 Kudos
jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey, I appreciate the response and I already knew that was what you suggested. I'm just apprehensive to install a new version of this plug-in without seeing in the release notes an explicit mention of vCenter/vSphere 7.0 compatibility.

That said, I just realized this plug-in isn't listed as Tech Preview like a lot of the other plug-ins in the Orchestrator documents, so I guess this is production-ready?

0 Kudos
nef_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, 

you don't need to worry. qc4vmware is right, you only need to update the plugin. The plugin version that he mentioned is the plugin shipped with vRO 8.2.  

vRO 7.6 has a lot of bugs, update to the version 8.2 as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can't speak for one vRO version being buggier than the other.  Remember the plugins work with many versions of vRO.  I'm a long time vRO user and I'd say I've had more plugin related bugs than the vRO services/server.  As a company we are a long way off from being able to make the leap to 8.x versions of vRA and vRO.  I have been running this vSphere plugin version for months and not had any issues.  I've used it in both vRA 7.5 and 7.6 with no known problems.

jauling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We opened a SR and they suggested we upgrade to the latest plug-in as well. We really need this confirmation, just to cover our bases. So far, testing is going fine. Thanks you guys.

We're also in the same boat, where we are not ready to take the plunge into vRO 8.x. Only last year did we move from vRO 7.2 -> 7.6, mainly to keep the support contract valid.

0 Kudos