VMware Cloud Community
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Add vCenter Server 5.5 to vCO 5.1

Hi all,

maybe stupid question, is it possible to add vCenter server 5.5 to vco 5.1.

I tried it, but it threw me error

Error: Could not register or update vCenter Server extension - com.vmware.vim.vmomi.client.exception.SslException: com.vmware.vim.vmomi.core.exception.CertificateValidationException: Server certificate chain not verified (I tried it from configuration page)

if I tried to import ssl certificate, it was succesfully imported but not shown in ssl trust manager.

thanks.

Jan

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sorry, my mistake - I have not paid attention to the versions. Generally this is not supported configuration and you will need plugin 5.5 to connect to VC 5.5. Since the error is in code that uses Inventory Service and it is recommended not to use it you can try to install Technical Preview Version of VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for VMware vSphere 5.1.x and disable IS from vmo.properties.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am finally connected my vCenter server 5.5 to VCO but now it is shows me "Invalid credentials" in inventory view.

But this is another story Smiley Happy.

What helps me, I think, stop service, import ssl and add host again.

Am I wrong?

Jan

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vCO uses a certificate to login in vCenter as extension. If vCenter plugin is configured in shared session mode, 'Invalid credentials' error usually means that vCO certificate is not authenticated by vCenter(may be regenerated after the extension was created). To fix this delete the vCenter from vCO and add it again. If the plugin is configured in session per user mode then this error means that the currently logged user (in vCO) does not have permissions on vCenter.

holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey dvatov,

thanks, it helps, but now I see "Error in Plugin" message when I try to browse new vCenter in inventory view.

May I install plug-in for vCenter 5.5, nad should plug-ins for vCenter 5.1 and 5.5 run in parallel?

Could you advise, thanks.

Jan

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

'Error in plugin' is a generic message. In app-server/logs/server.log there should be an exception with more specific details. The latest vCenter plugin should be able to connect to both vCenter 5.5 and 5.1. You should have only one instance of the plugin installed otherwise this can cause an error. Can you post the server.log with the exception for analysis?

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I attached one part when is roll out vm Invetory for my vCenter, hope it could help with analyse.

Thanks

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sorry, my mistake - I have not paid attention to the versions. Generally this is not supported configuration and you will need plugin 5.5 to connect to VC 5.5. Since the error is in code that uses Inventory Service and it is recommended not to use it you can try to install Technical Preview Version of VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for VMware vSphere 5.1.x and disable IS from vmo.properties.

0 Kudos
holashh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey dvatov,

thanks for your leadership which leds me to solution, I have had connected my vCenter servers to vCO now.

Is it neccesary to disable IS in vmo.properties, becasue it works for me without that.

Thank you a lot.

Jan

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As a general recommendation it is better to disable the usage of the inventory service. If the setup works for you without applying this configuration probably you can use it as it is. Only some parts of the api are affected by the problems with the inventory service.

0 Kudos