VMware Cloud Community
kjthacker
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Add standalone workflow fails...

I'm clearly missing something with respect to using Orchestrator and am hoping that I can a push in the right direction.

I have been trying to add a standalone ESXi 4.1 host to vCenter Server. The workflow for adding a standalone host (Workflows > vCenter > Host Management > Registration > Add standalone host) fails everytime I try to use it. The error message that I see is:

Task 'AddStandaloneHost_Task' error: Authenticity of the host's SSL certificate is not verified. (Dynamic Script Module name : vim3WaitTaskEnd#20)

I cannot seem to figure out where to install the host's SSL certificate. Is this error referring to the vCenter Server SSL certificate or the ESXi host's SSL cert?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

=======================================

Here's my vCO log file:

(com.vmware.library.vc.basic/vim3WaitTaskEnd) Task 'AddStandaloneHost_Task' error: Authenticity of the host's SSL certificate is not verified. (Dynamic Script Module name : vim3WaitTaskEnd#20)
Connecting with key pair (../server/vmo/conf/vco_key)
Unable to execute command InternalError: Identity file not found ! (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#14) (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#31)
Connecting with password
Unable to execute command InternalError: Auth fail (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#14) (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#31)
(com.vmware.library.vc.basic/vim3WaitTaskEnd) Task 'AddStandaloneHost_Task' error: Authenticity of the host's SSL certificate is not verified. (Dynamic Script Module name : vim3WaitTaskEnd#20)
Connecting with password
Unable to execute command InternalError: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#14) (Workflow:Run SSH command / Execute SSH Command (item6)#31)
(com.vmware.library.ssh/registerVSOonHost) Registration of VS-O public key on '172.20.10.51' for user 'root' failed.InternalError: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#5) (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#30)
(com.vmware.library.ssh/registerVSOonHost) Registration of VS-O public key on '172.20.10.51' for user 'root' failed.InternalError: Auth fail (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#5) (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#30)
(com.vmware.library.ssh/registerVSOonHost) Registration of VS-O public key on '172.20.10.52' for user 'root' failed.InternalError: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#5) (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#30)
(com.vmware.library.ssh/registerVSOonHost) Registration of VS-O public key on '172.20.10.52' for user 'root' failed.InternalError: Auth fail (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#5) (Dynamic Script Module name : registerVSOonHost#30)
Connecting with password
Connected!
Executing 'uptime'
Output: ' 04:27:11 up 12 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
'
Error: ''
Exit code: '0'
uptime - output:  04:27:11 up 12 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

error:
Connecting with password
Connected!
Executing 'uptime'
Output: ' 21:28:41 up  2:39, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
'
uptime - output:  21:28:41 up  2:39, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

error:
Connecting with password
Connected!
Executing 'vmware -v'
Output: 'VMware ESXi 4.1.0 build-260247
'
vmware -v - output: VMware ESXi 4.1.0 build-260247

error:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Ken!

That's a (not well) known limitation of the included Workflows.

Find the solution here:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14363

Thanks goes to Andreas :-)!

Regards, and have fun with vCO 🙂

Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi Ken!

That's a (not well) known limitation of the included Workflows.

Find the solution here:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14363

Thanks goes to Andreas :-)!

Regards, and have fun with vCO 🙂

Joerg

0 Kudos
kjthacker
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thank you Jorg!

One more question, where do I add the scripting to get SSL Thumbprint? In the workflow itself, in the Add Host action? Apologies for the questions, I'm new to Orchestrator.

Cheers,

Ken

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, you can either download the complete Workflow Andreas created (it's also in the Link above), or you can adjust the script in the "Add Host"-scripting element.

(If I remember right, you cannot edit the Library workflows, so you have to duplicate the original workflow before you can edit it)

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please take a look on Mighty-virtualization.blogspot.com<http://Mighty-virtualization.blogspot.com>...

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 14.07.2011 um 20:51 schrieb "Ken Thacker" <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>:

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

Add standalone workflow fails...

created by Ken Thacker<http://communities.vmware.com/people/kjthacker> in Orchestrator - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/1791216#1791216

kjthacker
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thanks again Jorg!

I did download and import the package however it appears that the package only added 1 workflow, that is adding a host to a cluster without an SSL thumbprint.

-Ken

0 Kudos
Andreas_Diemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jörg,

you're much as fair 😉

Regards, Andreas

------ for correct and / or useful answers please award points visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://mighty-virtualization.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
kjthacker
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I appear to be missing something. I created my own workflow and replicated the script that Andreas posted, yet when I look at his script here: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14363, there appears to be "blue" periods after each semi-colon. I cannot seem to replicate that in my script:

Add-standalone-host-no-SSL.PNG

When I validate my workflow, it comes back with "workflow is valid!" and when I run the workflow I see this error:

TypeError: Cannot read property "fault" from null (Workflow:Add standalone host no SSL / Add standalone host no SSL (item0)#9)

What have I missed? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First: Validation only checks for "technical" correctness of the complete workflow (Mainly if all parameter bindings to the workflow elements are done, shows unused Workflow Attributes, unreachable elements...)!

Unfortunately, it does not check the correctness of scripts 😞

(And of course it cannot do semantical checks, BTW)

Second: I think the periods are only because of a setting in the Tools/User Preferences/Script Editor / Display EOL(end of line) in the vCO Client. They are not parsed characters in the script. (Haven't use this before, too, so "again what learned" :smileygrin: )

1791577.png

Third:

I have no idea what you are missing Smiley Sad...

Some ideas for debugging:

1. print out the Task variable just before trying to access the "fault"-attribute (right after the while-line):

System.debug("Task: " + Task);

Just to see if there is a Task object.

2. Watch / Try it in vSphere Client. You should see the failing task there as well.

If you don't see the task (and the System.debug shows null), than somethings goes wrong with the addStandaloneHost_Task() and we have to check all its parameters and the hostConnectSpec...

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

BTW (and OT):

@Andreas: You cannot hide in the big anonymous community when it comes to vCO (...yet) :smileysilly::smileylaugh:!

0 Kudos