VMware Cloud Community
Uridium454
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Action unable to return value if input is dynamic type

I am attempting to return a string value to a form based on an input of a dynamic type.  I am feeding the dynamic type value to an action through a data binding on the presentation layer within a vRO workflow.  When I do not have a value selected, the form returns the expected "no animal selected" text value.  The moment I choose a dynamic type object, the string value is cleared, and no additional text is returned.

I have ran this action from a workflow that did not call the value back to the form, and the expected Elephant name is pulled back without issue.  I have also tried this action with just returning text values in both cases, and still get the same results as before.  The moment a dynamic type value is selected, the action seems to just simply stop working.

For giggles, I decided to use the example  A Primer on vRealize Orchestrator Dynamic Types – vBombarded to create the dynamic types to use for testing purposes.  Note, I have other dynamic types objects setup, but wanted to make sure it wasn't something I had wrong in the way they were built, so I leveraged the above example.

Workflow and actions being ran from vRO 7.5.

The action is setup as follows:

input -

animal : DynamicTypes:Zoo.Elephant

code:

if(animal){

return animal.Name;

}else{

return "no animal selected";

}

The workflow is setup as follows:

input -

(DynamicTypes:Zoo.Elephant) animal

(string) externalValue

presentation layer has data binding set on the input string "externalValue" calling the action listed above with input bound as input #animal

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
inevp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tested this on both 7.5 and 8.x (in the web UI) and it doesn't work. Turns out there's a bug with external values in forms where the input parameter of the action is a Dynamic Types object. I'll create a bug so that we track and fix the issue. If you need the fix quickly, please file a support request so that it is prioritized.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
inevp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tested this on both 7.5 and 8.x (in the web UI) and it doesn't work. Turns out there's a bug with external values in forms where the input parameter of the action is a Dynamic Types object. I'll create a bug so that we track and fix the issue. If you need the fix quickly, please file a support request so that it is prioritized.

0 Kudos
Uridium454
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, that makes me feel quite a bit better.  I have been spinning around on this one for a bit and thought perhaps I was doing something wrong.  :smileygrin: 

I will reach out via a support request.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Uridium454
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hot fix provided which fixed the issue.  As noted previously by inevp, this was a bug found in all version of vRO 7.x and 8.x.

0 Kudos