VMware Cloud Community
zdog59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Access Level for viewing System Logs in a Workflow

What level of access is required to view System logs in workflows on the "logs" tab?   From what I can gather one needs to be an Admin defined in the config utility to view those logs.  I've attempted to grant different permissions at the workflow level but have been unsuccessful.  The log and variables tab displays but no data is visible.  Thank in advance for thoughts.

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Burke-
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Logs tab displays non-persistent logs generated by scripts containing: System.log, System.warn, and System.error .... By non-persistent, I mean that this ONLY shows up in the Logs tab if you have the vCO client up and running when the workflow is executed. The same info that appears here is also present in the "server.log" file found on the filesystem of your vCO Server. If you wish to have persistent logging, you will need to write your workflows to use "Server.log, Server.warn, and Server.error". The content passed through those commands will remain available between closing/opening the vCO client and can be found in the "Events" tab of your workflow execution.

If you are logging in as an admin and are not seeing content in the variables tab or logs tab during workflow executions, you might want to make sure that the time of the system running the vCO client is in synch with the vCO server. We have seen instances where such discrepancies have resulted in content not being visible in the client.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you!

Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator
for vRealize Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @TechnicalValues on Twitter
0 Kudos
zdog59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies,

My question is specifically regarding non persistent logging and the client running.   As an Administrator defined in the configuration utility I can see the logs on any workflow I invoke or are invoked while my client is running.   What I am trying to accomplish is the ability for non-administrative users to be able to the the non persistent logs that show up in the workflow runs at the time they invoke them from the client (the Logs tab).   Is that functionality restricted to admin access only or is there a lower access that can be assigned at workflow level to show the logs.

In addition, we are using persistent logging as well, but sparingly.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

0 Kudos