VMware Cloud Community
Johnnyw463
Contributor
Contributor

AWS Plugin Missing Instance Types

I am attempting to build out an instance to our AWS environment using the AWS plugin in vRO. I can get all the objects requred for the 'Launch Instance' workflow, except the instance type. When I run the following line:

Server.findAllForType("AWS:EC2InstanceType")

I retrieve a very short list of instance types. Not at all reflecting the instance types available, not even the t2 instance family. I assume that this is because the SDK for the plugin is behind the current plugin distributed by Amazon. I also cannot create EC2InstanceType objects using the withValue() method. I get a enum error.

If the SDK truly is restricting which instance types I can use, will updating the SDK on the appliance resolve my problems? Or am I wasting my time trying to use this plugin? It seems crazy to me that the plugin is out of date by almost a year. I don't want to buiild something new on an unsupported platform.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Earlier this year, we updated the AWS plug-in to use newer AWS Java SDK in order to provide support for latest AWS regions/availability zones.

So there is a newer build of the plug-in; the problem is how it is distributed. My initial plan was to upload it here in the community forums, but apparently the size of the plug-in file exceed some attachment size limitations Smiley Sad

If you need the newer plug-in build urgently and cannot wait until this distribution issue is resolved, I would suggest to contact your VMware point of contact to figure out some convenient way to get the new plug-in.

0 Kudos
Johnnyw463
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. Working with our VMware representative right now to see if I can get the plugin.

Curious though, why is this not being distributed through Solution Exchange like the current plugin version?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It will likely end up in the Solution Exchange, like the current version. It just takes some time Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gkostova
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The updated plug-in will be uploaded on the solution exchange next week. Thank you for your patience!

0 Kudos