VMware Cloud Community
thechaos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AD plugin and universal group

Hi,

short question regarding the creation of groups using the AD plugin. Is it possible to create an universal group ?, the createUserGroup creates a Global group. (The same question for a domain local group)

Regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ppanicherski
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

By using "createUserGroup" WF you will be able to create only UserGroups of type "Security Group - Global". I think that this can be workarounded by later setting the attribute "groupType" of the UserGroup object to(see table bellow):

Group Type

Constant

Value

Global group

ADS_GROUP_TYPE_GLOBAL_GROUP

&H2

Domain local group

ADS_GROUP_TYPE_DOMAIN_LOCAL_GROUP

&H4

Universal group

ADS_GROUP_TYPE_UNIVERSAL_GROUP

&H8

Security group

ADS_GROUP_TYPE_SECURITY_ENABLED

&H80000000

However when I tried this I got an AD error probably stating insufficient priveleges.

The code I use is:

userGroup.setAttribute("groupType", "&H4");

The error I got was:

Unable to remove attribute: Error while modifying element: [LDAP: error code 21 - 00000057: LdapErr: DSID-0C090A85, comment: Error in attribute conversion operation, data 0, vece ]

0 Kudos
BrettK1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

10 years late, but relevant still for me!

First, the values you'll want to use are listed here:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/scripting/how-can-i-tell-whether-a-group-is-a-security-group-or-a-dis...

Global distribution group

Domain local distribution group

Universal distribution group

Global security group

Domain local security group

Universal security group

Secondly, you can't convert directly from 'Global' to 'Domain Local', you have to make a pit-stop at 'Universal' in between.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3cc3d71b-ca71-4d85-9a86-93579dae9fd4/conve...

userGroup.setAttribute('groupType''-2147483640');
userGroup.setAttribute('groupType''-2147483644');
0 Kudos