VMware Cloud Community
TedH256
Expert
Expert

what is the difference between vC Ops Manager, and sSOM

If a customer already owns vSphere Enterprise Plus, then ... is buying vCenter Ops Manager ... the same exact thing as "upgrading" to vSOM?

What about if Enterprise (not plus) is owned -- is there a difference in the capabilities of vCOPs that "comes with" vSOM Ent Plus ugrade?

THNX!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

vSOM is packaged with vCenter Operations Manager Standard - regardless of which edition of vSOM you purchase.  The vSOM editions (Ent, Ent Plus) a different only in the version of vSphere, not vC Ops.

So, if you already own vSphere Enterprise Plus and want vC Ops Manager Standard, then you're probably better off going the upgrade route.  This is because another difference is that vSOM is sold per CPU, which covers the vC Ops Manager entitlement as well. 

If you just bought vC Ops Standard, you would be buying per VM - and if you have a lot of VMs it would likely be more costly to do it that way.

Hope that helps.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
TedH256
Expert
Expert

this is very helpful, thank you!

Now, let's suppose that we have sNs for vSphere that run for the next two years. If we buy vSOM, do they "pro-rate" the support costs, and only charge support fee for the vCOPs portion of vSOM through the end of the sNs period that we already own?

So, for example, here is the pricing I got recently:

VMware, Inc. vSphere with Ops Management Ent Plus Upg

mfg# VS5-EPL-MEPL-UG-PRO

10 CPUs @ $626.00 each total = $6,260.00

VMware, Inc. Production Support 1 yr - 24x7

mfg# VS5-MEPL-P-SSS-C

10 @ $1,061.00 each total = $10,610.00

We have Ent Plus already - but want to add 2 more CPUs and then "upgrade" to vSOM. This seems really expensive for support of, essentially, just vCOPs for us. I realize it's for the whole vSPhere product, too ... but we already have support for a couple more years. It's so confusing!

0 Kudos