VMware Cloud Community
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

vrops federation MP

Has anyone used this.

I installed it and configured two of my instances of vrops to connect to it using the OOTB metric config file and it works great and as expected.

The problem comes when i created a new config file for my capacity instances of vrops where i only want to bring over approx 15 metrics form each. I then set the new file name in the MP config but the collection fails with

pastedImage_0.png

I copied the OOTB config file and modified it but still no luck

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anna_grigoryan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you please clarify the life-cycle of  the "probematic" adapter instnace, particularly
     Did you created it from scratch and configured with the custom created config-file?
     Or this adapter was running fine with the ootb config file and than you changed the config? 
     When changing the config file, did you stop-change-start the adapter instance?

The Federation adapter log may give more insight to this situation:
            Administration -> Support -> Logs -> Master (I suppose Federation vROps has a single node/collector) -> Collector -> adapters -> FederationAdapter_<adapter_internal_ID>.log
            The adapter internalD could be find from Administration -> Configuration -> Inventory Explorer -> Adapter Instances -> Federation Adpater Instnace   (the "Internal Id" column may be disabled by default, you may need to enable it).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
anna_grigoryan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you please clarify the life-cycle of  the "probematic" adapter instnace, particularly
     Did you created it from scratch and configured with the custom created config-file?
     Or this adapter was running fine with the ootb config file and than you changed the config? 
     When changing the config file, did you stop-change-start the adapter instance?

The Federation adapter log may give more insight to this situation:
            Administration -> Support -> Logs -> Master (I suppose Federation vROps has a single node/collector) -> Collector -> adapters -> FederationAdapter_<adapter_internal_ID>.log
            The adapter internalD could be find from Administration -> Configuration -> Inventory Explorer -> Adapter Instances -> Federation Adpater Instnace   (the "Internal Id" column may be disabled by default, you may need to enable it).
0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

The two that are working were created with the default.

The two that are not i created a new one then added the adapters. I have even stoped the adapter, reconfigured it and restarted the adapter. I have even taken the cluster offline and online again.

I will get a look at the logs soon.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

[99] 2018-10-22 07:35:19,648 ERROR [Collector worker thread 5] (3581) com.vmware.adapter.federation.FederationAdapter.onCollect - Configuration file validation failed.: ConfFileValidationException: cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'link' is not allowed to appear in element 'Metric'.

[100] 2018-10-23 04:43:19,422 ERROR [Collector worker thread 11] (3581) com.vmware.adapter.configuration.ConfigurationParser.validateXMLSchema - Failed to validate configuration file: SAXParseException: cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'link' is not allowed to appear in element 'Metric'.

[101] org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 5; columnNumber: 107; cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'link' is not allowed to appear in element 'Metric'.

[102] at org.apache.xerces.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)

This is the config file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<AdapterKinds>

<AdapterKind adapterKindKey="VMWARE">

<ResourceKind resourceKindKey="ClusterComputeResource">

<Metric attrkey="Super Metric|sm_aec7b88f-ccf1-45b3-900f-ccb1dae5aa84" label="" unit="" yellow="" orange="" red="" link=""/>

<Metric attrkey="Super Metric|sm_005a1226-6c2a-4787-b6ab-8015f4d07179" label="" unit="" yellow="" orange="" red="" link=""/>

</ResourceKind>

</AdapterKind>

</AdapterKinds>

Is it because they are SM

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

After reading the log it turns out that 7.0 added the link="" to the end of the metric config. Once i removed it from my config file it worked.

0 Kudos
anna_grigoryan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It looks like you have vRealize Operations 7.0, but  still using Federation MP compatible with earlier version (I suppose Federation MP 1.0.x).
Once you upgrade to the supported version, you will no longer need to do manual change.

This is addressed in upcomming Federation MP 1.1 release.  And this is the version compatible with vRealize Operations 7.0.
0 Kudos