VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert

virtual machine CPU capacity and stress

Hi

I just have upgraded to vCOPS 5.7.1 and it looks like there are heaps of modifications in the Capacity planning area.

Previously we had a huge number of capacity remaining that did not make sense. Now with the new policies (and my experimenting) I have nothing left 🙂

I hope VMware Press releases a vCOPS bible soon that explains everything in detail

In the mean time I was hoping if someone can clarify one and other for me.

In this example I am looking at a cluster which is provisioned with 134 Ghz of CPU. The usable capacity of my profile specifies to use HA so I have a capacity of 112 Ghz.
When I look under the details of my planning > capacity > virtual machine capacity I see the following

-Over by 21 VM

-Capacity 112 Ghz

-Usage 39%

-Host usage 39%

-Effective demand 108%

-Overcommited Allocation 108%

-Host Overcommited allocation 108%

If I go to operations > details > Workload, I see the following for this cluster

-Demand 49,943 Mhz

-Usage 45,940 Mhz

-Configured 134,405 Mhz

So at this stage I am thinking that based on demand there should be enough CPU capacity left. In my policy > Capacity and Time remaining I have enabled by demand and not allocation.

When I disable "Use Stress to account for spikes and peaks" I see a dramatic change . My effective demand goes to 51% and I have capacity for another 268 VM.

Now I don't feel comfortable with this number either and I realize that this is all affected by the "underuse and stress" setting. At this stage it is set to having a demand above 50% (CPU and RAM) for 10% of every 4 hour period.
Looking at some of my hosts in the cluster, they do go over this demand setting. When I adjust the demand to 70% and check "use stress to account for spikes and peaks"  I get a remainder of 60 VM. This is probably still too much

Can someone shed some light on all of this? I really want to find a sweet spot that fits my environment.

What would be a good number to use for demand when it comes to stress? The production policy that comes with vcops is set to 40%. Would that not be a bit low?

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies