VMware Cloud Community
sathiyavd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRealize operations manager High Availability test

Performing vROps high availability testing and trying to take down the Master node and enable Master replica as new Master node in the cluster. But it wasn't successful. Getting an error "Failed to remove node" while trying to remove the Master node .

I've tried the command  " curl -ik -u 'admin:password' -X DELETE https://master_node_IP/casa/deployment/slice/node_to_remove_IP/replacement_node_IP " too . But still getting same error.

Any suggestions. ???

Thank you

4 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Reading what you are trying to do it would seam that you are not trying to do HA testing but remove a active. gracefully shut down node from a working cluster.

If you power off the Master the replica will take over as the master and at that point you should be able to remove the master. Taking the node offline and then shutting it down and trying to remove it may not work. As i understand it the node needs to be inaccessible for the delete command to work

I am making some guesses as to what you have done and if they are wrong please detail out you testing steps

sathiyavd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Powered off the Master VM after taking the node offline from the vROps cluster , then tried removing the node . I get option to select the next replica node and also getting notification saying my current replica will be my New Master . But it's not happening.

It's mixed-node cluster where,

Master Node ( current ) - Windows

Replica Node                -  vApp

Data                              - vApp

I know mixed-mode is not supported by VMware, but a requirement arised for a customer to migrate from Windows Cluster to vApp cluster.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

The problem i think is you took the node offline. Because it was graceful that command wont work. To get it to work try and power off the master node when it is online and live. that should force the replica to become the master and because the master will be inaccessible instead of offline the command will work.

I am guessing you want to replace the windows master with a vap master. Interesting solution if that is the case

sathiyavd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, exactly Smiley Happy trying to replace the windows master with a vApp master.

Looks like, it worked now. I tried that command directly without taking the Master node offline.

Thank you sxnxr Smiley Happy

0 Kudos