VMware Cloud Community
AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRealize Ops Manager Endpoint Agent

New to vRealize Ops Manager and in the process of deploying the Windows Endpoint Agent.  I am at the point where it needs a Username and Password to connect back to the vRealize Operations Manager.  I am curious what people are using there?  I'd imagine using the Admin account is not recommended but there is no guidance in the documentation.  Are most people creating a local account in the Ops Manager?  If so what permissions are needed?  Please provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks..

4 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I would recommend using a local user and not the admin user not just for EPO agent but anything that talks to vrops. The last thing you want is to lock out your admin account when you change the password and also have to then change the password on every EPO agent you deployed. I just gave it admin access as i am the only one who has the password so i dont know what the min access level the account needs.

On a side note i would highly recommend deploying a remote collector and have it do all the collections from the EPO agent to off load that workload from the data nodes. Ideally (if you can) deploy two and have a load balancer setup and point all the EPO agents to the LB address.

Last thing Please please please make sure to size the vrops correctly as the EPO agent will add significant load to the cluster and also storage space required. We were looking to deploy the agent to get in guest memory stats but have stopped because of the new features of 6.3 means i can get them with out the agent. This saved me deploying to 15000 VMs.

AhhhOK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response and the Links below.. Good stuff.  I'm looking at the release notes and such and not seeing anything about acquiring guest stats w/o the EPO Agent.  They haven't eliminated it all together have they?

Thanks again!

sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Only in guest memory stats have been added and collected through the vmware tools (You need ESXi 6.0 U1 or higher and the VM must have the tools of 6.0 U1 or higher). In my case this is all i wanted so i dont need the agent anymore but if you are after other stuff then you will still need the agent.

Take a look at the metric section

https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/vrops-6-3-walkthrough-new-features

I would say this is the start of the elimination of the eops agent and you will see more and more being gathered using the vmware tools as newer versions of vrops and tools become released. I for one cant wait as the main problem i have is you end up with two objects for the same VM (one for the EPOs object and all the data it collects is associated with it and one for the vsphere object) because of this if you want epos data you need to select the eops agent object for the VM and if you want standard data you need to select the vsphere adapter object for the same VM which is a pain when you create dashboards with custom interaction files you need to double up on the widgets.

0 Kudos