VMware Cloud Community
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert

vRealize Operations Manager

What does what will fit in the capacity remaining tab means?

if it says 40 small, 5 medium and 2 large; does it mean I can only deploy 2 large or 40 small or 5 medium VMS? or 47 total VMs total?

Is the computation depends on the remaining resources in a datacenter/cluster/host?

how does vROPs compute for remaining VMs if a cluster is configured in a fault tolerant environment?

if its says 40 VMs, does it means 80 in total if secondary copy is included or only 20 primary VMs and 20 secondary VMs?

On the time remaining tab, does vROPs gives the EXACT number of days that the resources will be consumed and not just ">1yr"?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

if it says 40 small, 5 medium and 2 large; does it mean I can only deploy 2 large or 40 small or 5 medium VMS? or 47 total VMs total?

Is the computation depends on the remaining resources in a datacenter/cluster/host?

This is a allocation based capacity model.

Total Capacity ( CPU or memory) of the object you have selected ( Datacenter will be all clusters. A cluster will be all hosts) - HA buffers ( defined in your policy as a % or use cluster HA settings) = Usable capacity (CPU or memory)

The sum of all allocated CPU or Memory of all the VMs under the object. Take this away from the usable and you get available capacity.

Vrops will look at size of the vms in the cluster and work out the Smallest, Largest and the medium. It will then divide the available CPU and memory with each of the 3 server sizes and what ever number is the lowest between cpu and memory that is how many servers of that size you can deploy.

So based on allocation you can only deploy either 40 small or 5 medium or 2 large not 47 (there should be a down arrow that shows you the size of the VM that vrops has worked out as those server sizes) I dont use the OOTB sizes as they can be misleading. If you have a cluster with 3 VMs on it that are all 8x32 then the smallest, average and largest will be the same. I create my own sizes.

how does vROPs compute for remaining VMs if a cluster is configured in a fault tolerant environment?

if its says 40 VMs, does it means 80 in total if secondary copy is included or only 20 primary VMs and 20 secondary VMs?

This i dont know but at a guess as the copy consumes the same resources as the primary it would see the copy as a separate vm and take that into account. Some one else might know and answer this. This should be easy to work out yourself with some math

On the time remaining tab, does vROPs gives the EXACT number of days that the resources will be consumed and not just ">1yr"?

I beleave time remaining is demand base model and not allocation and is a forecast. I dont think it will give you better than >1yr as it should not take that long to add capacity

0 Kudos