VMware Cloud Community
VSnip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRealize Operations Manager 8.x - BACKUP Strategy ?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at how to backup vROPS 8.5. 
I had a look on the best practices from VMware documentation: vRealize Operations Manager 8.4 Best Practices Guide - vRealize Operations Manager 8.4 (vmware.com)

They advise at least to bring the Cluster Offline.

I was thinking about:
- Shutdown my vROPS appliances ( 2 nodes: 1 Master & 1 Data)
- Launch the backup
- Once the backup finished => PowerOn appliances

I've few questions:

- Does the shutdown of appliance set the cluster in "Offline" mode properly?
- Do I need to stop first the "Master" appliance to stop correclty the cluster? 

- What's your process of vROPS backup? How do you automate this task? 

Thanks ! 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@VSnip 

Which VMware docs are not confusing :). In other document => https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Suite/2019/vrealize-suite-backup-and-restore-vsphere-data-protec...

"Offline backups are recommended but not mandatory. vRealize Operations can be successfully restores from online and offline backups."

I'm using online backup's since vROps 6.x and now with latest 8.5 and never experience any issues just stick to the rules from blog.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi @VSnip 

In real word might be problematic to shut down whole cluster each time when you like to backup it. Instead I'd recommend to do image level backup and just do NOT quiesce the file system on vrops appliance and do NOT backup during DT (Dynamic Threshold) calculations.

I stick to those two rules and I never had a problem with vrops backup consistency or problems with vrops nodes caused by backup.

Please check this blog for more details => https://michaelryom.dk/vrops-backup-done-right/?doing_wp_cron=1632299398.2189249992370605468750

0 Kudos
VSnip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi @szafa 

Thanks for your comment and advise. 
Indeed, I saw this blog but this one is based on vROPS 6.x, it writes that we need to let the cluster ON and VMware in their best practices for 8.x, it's recommended to turn off the cluster 😕 it's little bit confusing.

In which version of vROPS are you? 

0 Kudos
szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@VSnip 

Which VMware docs are not confusing :). In other document => https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Suite/2019/vrealize-suite-backup-and-restore-vsphere-data-protec...

"Offline backups are recommended but not mandatory. vRealize Operations can be successfully restores from online and offline backups."

I'm using online backup's since vROps 6.x and now with latest 8.5 and never experience any issues just stick to the rules from blog.

VSnip
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@szafa 

Thanks a lot for your advises and documentation! 
That's a bit clearer ! 

I'm gonna to try this solution on LAB ! 

Thanks one more time! 🙂

0 Kudos