VMware Cloud Community
edlam2000
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Operations Manager 6.6 Appliance Licensing Question

I using the Evaluation license of vROP 6.6 Appliance to connect to vCenter 6 but I don't know if Standard License is enough for my following situation:-

1) A vCenter with 500 VM but I only need vROP to monitor 2 ESXi hosts which has about 25 VM, could I just get the 25 VM pack license and exclude the other ESXi hosts?

2) I only need to create Dashboard for 25 VM together for their CPU, Memory, Disk utilization for 1 month stacked graph. Is Standard License enough or do I need Enterprise since I need to alter the Dashboard to show 1 month instead of its default 7 days, and make it stacked graph instead of its default split graph????

3) Is the Collected Matrix of CPU utilization%, Memory Consumed%, Disk IOPS and Throughput considered as Normal Matrix, therefore, NOT super matrix, therefore, Standard License is enough???

4) For the Appliance version connecting to vCenter 6 ONLY, do I need to get the per Processor license instead of the OSI license????  Is it to count the processor of my ESXi Server that has the Appliance installed or the Monitoring ESXi total processors????

Tags (1)
8 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I will try to answer you questions but if i miss anything someone will correct me

I using the Evaluation license of vROP 6.6 Appliance to connect to vCenter 6 but I don't know if Standard License is enough for my following situation:-

1) A vCenter with 500 VM but I only need vROP to monitor 2 ESXi hosts which has about 25 VM, could I just get the 25 VM pack license and exclude the other ESXi hosts?

Yes vrops is licences on what you moniter

2) I only need to create Dashboard for 25 VM together for their CPU, Memory, Disk utilization for 1 month stacked graph. Is Standard License enough or do I need Enterprise since I need to alter the Dashboard to show 1 month instead of its default 7 days, and make it stacked graph instead of its default split graph????

Any modification of dashboards will require Advanced edition or above

3) Is the Collected Matrix of CPU utilization%, Memory Consumed%, Disk IOPS and Throughput considered as Normal Matrix, therefore, NOT super matrix, therefore, Standard License is enough???

Yes if you are viewing them in your eval version of the licence and you didnt create a SM then you will get access to the metric in any version of the licence

4) For the Appliance version connecting to vCenter 6 ONLY, do I need to get the per Processor license instead of the OSI license????  Is it to count the processor of my ESXi Server that has the Appliance installed or the Monitoring ESXi total processors????

You dont need a licence to host the appliance, vrops is licences for what you monitor. What i dont know is how the OSI licences work so hopefully someone else with more knowledge can answer

Skmr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

short and simple, vROps licences is based on CPU of appliance right? 

Thank you,

Pkmr.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Wrong there are several licence models and all are based on what you monitor with vrops not the number of cpu the appliance has.

Here is one example ( this is what we use)

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vrealize/vmware-vrealize-...

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's also worth noting that there has never been a licensing model for vROps that was based off the CPU allocation for the appliance itself.

0 Kudos
edlam2000
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, if I am going to monitor only 2 x ESXi Hosts via vCenter 6, with each ESXi Hosts having 14 x VM total to 28 x VM,

What is the suitable License?

1) It seems that since I need to alter the Dashboard to have it display 1 month stacked graph, then the Standard License is not enough.

2) Is the per OSI License more suitable for monitoring 2 x ESXi with 14 x VM each?  Or is the per CPU processor model more suitable?  It's because the 28 x VM has exceeded the 25 VM Pack.

0 Kudos
Skmr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi SXNXR

Oh, so there is no concept called vrops licence per CPU of appliance?

The document is saying licence per vsphere host CPU, let say I have 2 host's with 28 CPU's, in this case I have to buy licence for 28 CPU's [so that I can cover all VM running under these 2 hosts?].

Thank you.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Yes you will need 28 CPU licences to cover the hosts.

Apologises if i read you post wrong but it seemed you were asking if i have a vrops appliance of 2 nodes with 8 vcpu each i need a licence of 16 vcpu that is not the case

You can have the appliance running on hosts not licenced for vrops and monitor different hosts

sxnxr
Commander
Commander

edlam2000

It all comes down to cost and what one is more cost effective for you. What is the cost of 2 x 25 osi pack compaired to x number of vcpu licences.

Also if you are looking to buy more licences soon maybe look at the vSOM licences.

0 Kudos