VMware Cloud Community
handsy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRealize 6.x - memory demand issue

I am seeing high Memory(host) demand on one of my VMs, which I think is a false positive:

vrealize1.jpg

I think this is being caused by the VM memory setting, "Reserve all guest memory (All locked)", being checked:

vrealize2.jpg

...but why would vRealize report this as CRITICAL when it clearly is not??

vrealize3.jpg

You can see that there is plenty of available memory on the host, so this makes no sense to me.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
handsy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can anyone help me with this please?

0 Kudos
pratt26
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are Correct. I see this on all systems that use memory reservations in VSphere.

0 Kudos
handsy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes thanks but that doesn't help me answer this 'issue'.

It seems crazy that a false positive is shown in vROPs for this memory setting. Can a vROPs expert respond please?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's a matter of how vR Ops is representing the reservation. vR Ops doesn't say the VM is demanding the memory, it is saying it's demanding the memory on the HOST upon which that VM is running. That "demanded" memory is fully reserved to that VM, so it may as well be marked as effectively used and can't be shared with any other VMs. This is correct, for the most part, because per the capacity utilization model it could be "allocation" or "demand". Surely allocation isn't what we want, since that is just what is configured pretty much, so that leaves "demanded" on this little workload graph.

The only problem, from what I can tell, is the alert you're getting that you don't want. That makes complete sense - I wouldn't want to get bothered either if I get alerts just for setting reservations. Would you mind attaching a screenshot of the active alert with the symptom chart expanded? I'd like to see what alert definition is catching the scenario and what symptoms are triggering it.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
alleninbroomfie
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue-- one VM keeps alerting that it needs more memory and more CPU due to reservations.  Unfortunately, Cisco demands this virtual appliance to have reservations... but I dislike the alert in vROM.  Anyone figure this one out?

0 Kudos