VMware Cloud Community
ASavener2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vROps: Difference between Maintenance Schedule and Track Usage?

We're currently on vROps 6.3, and I'm working to rightsize our VMs in a meaningful way.  I want to exclude the weekend from capacity calculations (due to AV scanning, maintenance jobs, patching, etc. that can impact utilization, but wouldn't ever affect users; I don't care if AV scanning takes an additional 20 minutes).

I'm trying to understand the difference between the Track Usage policy and the Maintenance Schedule policy.

Maintenance Schedule says "metrics are not collected and analytics is not calculated during maintenance."

Track usage doesn't have help text.

What is the difference between these two?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Maintenance schedules are used if you don not want to monitor objects with vROPS within a specific amount of time. Lets say for example when you have a maintenance window.

When you us a maintenance schedule metrics are not collected and analytics is not calculated during maintenance and you will not receive alerts in the objects where the maintenance schedule is applied to. Basicly, monitoring of the object is disabled.

The track usage options is used to determine the times when vRealize Operations Manager runs the capacity analytics calculations. So you will receive alerts but capacity analytics will not run.

In your use case you want to use the track usage option to exclude a specific time window for capacity analytics.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Maintenance schedules are used if you don not want to monitor objects with vROPS within a specific amount of time. Lets say for example when you have a maintenance window.

When you us a maintenance schedule metrics are not collected and analytics is not calculated during maintenance and you will not receive alerts in the objects where the maintenance schedule is applied to. Basicly, monitoring of the object is disabled.

The track usage options is used to determine the times when vRealize Operations Manager runs the capacity analytics calculations. So you will receive alerts but capacity analytics will not run.

In your use case you want to use the track usage option to exclude a specific time window for capacity analytics.

0 Kudos