VMware Cloud Community
snochico1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vROPs and SRM - Protected Machines and Placeholder VMs have different Guest OS free space

Hi All,

Issue:  Home Screen -- Health -- "One or more virtual machine guest file systems are running out of disk space"  has different values for SRM protect VMs and Placeholder VMs.

Has anyone run into a discrepancy with SRM protected machines having a different guest OS free space value than the place holder VM?   I have been enforcing a cleanup of Guests with < 5% free space.  When we clean the guest, the Alert is almost immediately cleared on the protected VM (powered on) but the place holder VM never gets an updated value according to vROPs. 

Is this a known issue? Is the issue with SRM or vROPs.  Are linked vCenters with SRM supported? 

I am running vRops  6.2.0.3528905 build 3528905.  We are using array based replication and have a GB link between the sites.  Replication happens in under 5 minutes, so this should not be an issue.  I see the issue still after a day and the Placeholder VMs have yet to sync or get close in value to their Protect VM counterpart.

Thank you,

Luis V.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snochico1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So after a discussion with the SRM team and vRealize Operations Manager team it was identified that vRealize treats Placeholder VMs as regular VMs.   The interesting thing is that when a fail-over test is run the hard-disks are connected to the placeholder VM.  All disk information is ingested into the recovery site vCenter.   Subsequently this caused my issue.  I was instructed to open a feature request.  If any of your are in the same boat please do the same so they will add some logic in for SRM.   For now my workaround was to create a dynamic group for powered off VMs and attach the dynamic group to a policy with the alarms disabled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
snochico1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So after a discussion with the SRM team and vRealize Operations Manager team it was identified that vRealize treats Placeholder VMs as regular VMs.   The interesting thing is that when a fail-over test is run the hard-disks are connected to the placeholder VM.  All disk information is ingested into the recovery site vCenter.   Subsequently this caused my issue.  I was instructed to open a feature request.  If any of your are in the same boat please do the same so they will add some logic in for SRM.   For now my workaround was to create a dynamic group for powered off VMs and attach the dynamic group to a policy with the alarms disabled.

0 Kudos