VMware Cloud Community
MCNJ
Contributor
Contributor

vROPs Custom Policy on Custom Groups not working

Hi,

This is what I'm trying to accomplish.  I need to create a custom policy and modify the "Usage Capacity" numbers and then apply the custom policy to a custom group.

What I've done:

1  - Created a custom group with the Compute Resource and Host Systems of my production DRS cluster and hosts.

2 -  Created a custom policy, based of the vSphere Solution's Default Policy, with the "Usage Capacity" settings as I want

3 -  Applied my custom policy to my custom group

I go to my custom group and now see that my custom policy is assigned.  EXPECTED behavior.

HOWEVER, if I go to the cluster, navigating through the vSphere World, the DRS cluster now says it is using my custom policy and NOT the default policy.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
evolex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where there are multiple policies that might apply to an object, the policy with the highest priority will take precedence. The default policy has the lowest priority.

I got that from this blog here Post #24 - Creating Custom Policies in vROps 6.x - VMware Cloud Management

It sounds like that's what's happening in your situation. I'm still new to vROps so I'll report back if I find a way around this.

0 Kudos
MCNJ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for pointing that out.  I don't see anything that mentions how to modify the priority of the policies.  My conundrum is that when I apply my custom policy on my custom group, that custom policy is then set on the vSphere World - my production DRS cluster.

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is:

Create a custom group that includes my Production Cluster so that I can view/report on capacity remaining using different values than what the default policy has.  So I created a custom group that contains my production cluster and hosts and then applied my custom policy to that custom group.  However, doing so sets the custom policy on the "out of the box" environmental vSphere World - production cluster.

0 Kudos
evolex
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Administration > Policies > Active Policies Window

The last column allows you to reorder the policies by dragging and dropping.

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm figuring out how these policies work for my groups, views, etc.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

If i am reading this correct you created 

1. custom group and added lets say Cluster 1 and hosts 1-8 and called it Group 1

2 Created a custom policy with you capacity thresholds. Lets call that Policy 1

3 Applied Policy 1 to  Group 1

If i am correct so far then every other object that is not in Group 1 will be assigned the default policy. Every object in Group 1 will have Policy 1 applied.

I am not sure you have a problem because if you navigate to cluster 1 or hosts 1-8 they will all have Policy 1 applied not the default because you assigned policy 1 to a group that contains those objects.

In short all objects in the group will have the policy applied that you assign to the group not just the group.

0 Kudos
MCNJ
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting.  What you say makes sense.

I guess I was thinking/hoping, the logical construct of my custom group 1 is completely isolated from the default vSphere World construct.  Meaning I could apply varying policies to various logical constructs of resources.

If it is not, then it should be.  :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Can you explain your use case to why you would want an object to have 2 different policies depending on where you select it in vrops hierarchy.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

it is not possible to have more than one policy for an object. You could only have one.

Depending on custom group membership, policys that are added to that group and the policy order.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos