VMware Cloud Community
szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vROPs 7.5 design

Hi All

I have two vCenter in two data centers connected with good WAN link (with network latency < 5ms ). Small environment (300 vm, 10 hosts in each DC and one vSAN data store per DC). Based on https://vropssizer.vmware.com/sizing-wizard/choose-installation I can use even extra small one node setup.

Should I add remote collector on other DC to reduce traffic? Maybe I should add collectors on both DC?

If I decide to use remote collector I understand that I need to disable quiescing to allow smooth backup of both nodes?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I would always use RC's even for local site collection to off load the collections from the analytics nodes. Regardless of the size of the environment it all depends how impotent the vrops data will be.

If very important

• 1 x master
  • 1 x replica
  • 2 x RC each DC (a new collector group for each DC)

This will provide the best resilience but require the most nodes

not very important

• 1 x master
  • 1 x RC each DC (a new collector group for each DC)

You dont care

• 1 x master

If ultra important go to vrops 8 and use the continuous availability if you meet the network requirements.

szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sxnxr

Thanks for quick reply. Can start with just 1 x master and then if needed add 1 x RD each dc or/and add replica node? Will this affect any already collected data/dashboards or alerts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Yea you can start with one master and the expand it later. After the RC is added you just need to create a collector group and change the adapters to use this instead of the default group. If you add a Replica just make sure you are sized correctly before you do.

expanding will not effect any current data or configurations as long as you snapshot before any changes you make so you can revert back