VMware Cloud Community
Cbroad1
Contributor
Contributor

vROPS v8 - Running a report that uses two different objects (vCentre + HPE 3PAR)?

Does anyone know of a way to run a report in vROPS v8 that uses two different objects?
In my case vcentre and a HPE 3PAR objects.

I dont seem to be able to multi select objects in the selection window..

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

You cant have them in the same widget and you cant have one object list using vcenter objects and feed that into one with HP objects. 

You can have vcenter objects on the same report/dashboard as HP objects they just can interact with each other

This used to be the case but i haven't tried in a while but i do think they have improved object relationships between adapters that much. 

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Do you have vROPs?
Maybe you can add a HPE 3PAR data collector and get a report over there. 

0 Kudos
Cbroad1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, i should have stated that i am trying to use vROPS v8 to run a capacity report with two different types of views.
One type that used vCentre and the other that uses HPE 3PAR management pack objects.

Both views work separately but I cant get them to display anything when used in the same report and i can only seem to select one object when running the report...

0 Kudos
wstellios
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

It is possible if you create a custom group with object memberships of any/all types you want. Then create your report with the Views you require. When running your report, select the new custom group you created.

nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

@lucasbernadsky do you know anything about this?

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Cbroad. Thanks @nachogonzalez

Unfortunately you can't select multiple objects when running a report. Maybe creating a custom Object Type and linking custom groups to it will help you.

Custom Object Groups: https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Operations-Manager/8.1/com.vmware.vcom.core.doc/GUID-07BA3A0D-0F...

Object Group Type: https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Operations-Manager/8.0/com.vmware.vcom.core.doc/GUID-43ACB276-C9...

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

even having all the objects from both adapters in one group i dont think it will help you if you want one view in the report

You need to create a view to add to the report and you could add both object types to the same view yes, but when you run it against the custom group there will be blanks in the data because the HP metric in the view does not exist for the vcenter objects and vice versa.  you have in the same view so that data will have a - in it

The only clean way i can think of is to have two views in the one report. Create the group with all objects. Filter out the HP objects from the vcenter view and the vcenter objects from the HP view (filter section of the view creation). That way when you run your report against the group you will have 2 views with good data instead of one with lost of blank data. I think that would work. Not tested it.