VMware Cloud Community
savagea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vROPS Licensing

Looking to get some basic information on how licensing actually works.  We're monitoring hosts, datastores, VMs, etc, but it looks like ONLY VMs are taking up a license.  Is this correct?  Also, are powered-off VMs using up licenses, and if so can I make it NOT do this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NiranY
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ,

If one had purchased Standalone product edition that will be Licensed per OSI and if one got it bundled with VMware suite that will be Licensed per CPU , vROPS has it's own license-management GUI which provides administration of license keys , If needed one can deploy mix editions in a single vROPS instance. By default vROPS would not account for powered off VMs, but it will allocate an OSI to a VM which you didn't intend to monitor or powered off at a later stage.

there are 2 default groups (Unlicensed and Product Licensing), All  the running VMs from all vCenters will be added automatically to the Licensed group. Unlicensed group contain all members with expired key etc.

In order to exclude the powered off or test VMs which you do not want to consider monitoring edit the Licensed group membership by “excluding” the unwanted VMs:

Go to  Administration > Licensing > License Groups > Product Licensing Add Members > Object type: Virtual Machine and Choose whichever property better applies to the target VM () , Something similar to shown below

ScreenShot102.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
savagea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, so even though my vROPS install is monitoring over 700 'objects', I'm only using a licence for each "VM" that it's monitoring?  Here's a screenshot of my license manager...2016-11-16_10-19-58.jpg

0 Kudos
Mike_Gelhar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct. Licensing is either at the host level based on CPUs using vSOM or vCloud Suite or per VM (aka OSI). In either case, objects themselves are not licensed just the VMs

0 Kudos
savagea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, so how can I go about no monitoring any?  Anything/everything I've tried with modifying the licensed group hasn't resulted in the "licensable objects' number going down.

0 Kudos