VMware Cloud Community
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vROPS 8.0 exclude specific datastore from usage alert

Google is finding information on excluding specific resources from alerts, but it seems to be in vROPS 6.x versions.  We're on 8.0.1 and the GUI looks different than these examples.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to exclude a specific datastore from an alert, or from a symptom.  I have an ESXi host with local storage hosting 1 VM with a thick provisioned disk that takes 90% of the local datastore.  I know, waste of hardware, but it is a Cisco UC solution.  So, how do I not alert on this datastore?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are 3 ways of doing this.  I will start with the simplest way first.

1. go to administration > Inventory  ... search for your local datastore and put it in permanent maintenance mode.  Note it will stop collecting data.

2. Modify the alert and add another symptom saying datastore name does not contain "name of datastore". 

3. Create a custom group for your local datastore.  Create a new policy called "blacklist" and disable the alert from the policy.  Make sure to point the policy to only your Local datastore custom group.

Personal blog VMignite.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There are 3 ways of doing this.  I will start with the simplest way first.

1. go to administration > Inventory  ... search for your local datastore and put it in permanent maintenance mode.  Note it will stop collecting data.

2. Modify the alert and add another symptom saying datastore name does not contain "name of datastore". 

3. Create a custom group for your local datastore.  Create a new policy called "blacklist" and disable the alert from the policy.  Make sure to point the policy to only your Local datastore custom group.

0 Kudos
rwmastel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Iannguyen,

I selected option 2.  Seems to have worked, as the active alerts got canceled a short while after adding the symptom to the alert definition.

0 Kudos
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also take note that if you are going that route, everytime you update vROPS, it has a high chance of going back to default settings, therefore you would clone the alert with the new modifications, and disable the original alert in your policies.  I wrote this in my Alerting guide.

http://www.vmignite.com/2021/06/vrops-alerting-dos-and-dont/

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
vmCalgary
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lan,

Which option is best to exclude a specfic datastore so that the forecasting and average profile # of VMs remaining is best? I'm guessing #1.

We have a datastore that stores OVAs, firmware, etc and it's messing up the Whatif/Plan and other areas of data.

0 Kudos