VMware Cloud Community
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vROPS 6 disk space question and rebalance

Hi all I've a setup that is now composed by 1 Master Node, 3 Data Node (2 added after the installation) and 2 remote collectors (one will soon become a Master Replica).

When I created the VM I added a 250 GB disk so that the total storage for vm is 500 GB each .

At this moment it seems that the disk space used in the /storage/db is really different between the nodes and the master node is becoming full really fast.

Master: /dev/mapper/data-db   463642mb  379658mb      60436mb  87% /storage/db

Data: /dev/mapper/data-db      463642mb  109511mb     330583mb  25% /storage/db

Data: /dev/mapper/data-db      463642mb  220762mb     219329mb  51% /storage/db

Data: /dev/mapper/data-db      463642mb  144517mb     295573mb  33% /storage/db

On the storage db I've moved also the logs because the log partition was getting full and searched for heapstack to delete but there's nothing.

On the master node this is the space distribution:

2.8G    activity

136K    alarmxdblog

98M     blob

4.1M    config_backup

299G    data

4.0K    heapdump

42G     hisxdb

361M    hisxdblog

19G     rollup

6.8G    vpostgres

589M    xdb

339M    xdblog

Another Data node:

2.8G    activity

356K    alarmxdb

136K    alarmxdblog

4.0K    blob

4.1M    config_backup

117G    data

17M     heapdump

8.0G    hisxdb

28M     hisxdblog

7.2G    rollup

5.0G    vpostgres

876K    xdb

348K    xdblog

The /storage/db/vcops/data directory is the real difference between for spaces in the nodes.

I've tried a disk space rebalance that had run for almost 30 hours but this is the result I had at the end.

Is this normal and I should expand more the storage/data disks of all nodes or there's something I can do to rebalance the disk space better?

Thanks

Francescoo

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

have you checked the sizing documents on whether you cover the basics:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209378...

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've checked some documentation but the strange thing is that one server is 90% full while the other 3 are 10 to 40% full.

This seems at least strange and doing a "disk rebalance" will not equally redistribute the used space on the 4 nodes.

0 Kudos
kaufmanm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever figure out how this works? We have a four node cluster, a master node and three data nodes, all added before initially turning on the cluster. On ours 190 GB is used in /storage/db on the master node (21% used), while only 15 GB is used on each of the three data nodes (2% used). Does this indicate a problem or will it start distributing stuff as it gets more full?

0 Kudos
radiostar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When nodes are added to your vROPs cluster, a rebalance of the cluster must be completed.

Rebalance the vRealize Operations Manager Cluster

For better performance you can rebalance adapter, disk, memory, or network load across the  vRealize Operations Manager cluster nodes.

Click Administration.

Select Cluster Management.

From the Actions drop-down menu, select Rebalance Cluster.

Select the loads that you want to rebalance, and click OK.

source: vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.1 Documentation Center

0 Kudos