VMware Cloud Community
vmDotNet
Contributor
Contributor

vROPS 6.2 VM Availability monitoring

Just poking around vROPS 6.2 and it doesn't seems VM availability alert exist without an add-on like Hyperic. Is there a way to trigger an alert when a VM goes down for a certain period of time (say more than 5 mins) just through vSphere adapter? I am more interested in abstracting this information at hypervisor level rather VMware tools level, this way even the VMs without the VMware tools can be identified if it goes down or reboots for some reason.

3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Without using VMtools, you'd only be able to determine if the Virtual Hardware is powered on. This means the Guest OS could be in a run level that isn't "online" yet still "powered on", but the hypervisor would still say it's running. I strongly suggest you leverage the VM Tools, since it'll tell you if the GUestOS is running so you can use that as the availability indicator. You an trigger alerts based on collection interval. So the default collection interval is 5min. If you want to alert on a condition that exists at least 5min, you'd set the symptom's WAIT to 2. On 1, the condition could be 0-4:59 old, and on 2 it could be 5:00-9:59 old. Hyperic/EPO gives you the GuestOS metric of availability in the form of "is the agent communicating to vR Ops", as well as any other metrics you could use as an availability indicator at the GuestOS level. It's just a question of which you prefer to use to show "availability".

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
vishalchand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi All, I'm looking for something similar for availability report in a form of scoreboard for VM's/Network/Storage within the virtual space based on monthly basis. I cant see any metrics for availability running 6.2, any clue how we go about doing this? Much appreciated.

um3n
Contributor
Contributor

i need something similiar for a availibility report.

We need a report, which shows all vms and there availability. Someone has a clue?

At the moment we use a supermetric to take the "offlinestate" of a machine and with some math we make it to an "online in percent"

100 - ${this, metric=summary|poweredOffTimePercent}

But this is not exactly what we need.

0 Kudos