VMware Cloud Community
whitey1123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vROPS 6.1.0 not displaying vSAN dashboards using Management Pack for Storage Devices

Good afternoon all, having an issue getting vSAN dashboards rolling up to vROPS (NFS for that matter as well).  I am running vROPS 6.0.1 build 3038036 and using the Management Pack for Storage Devices build 6.0.2575852 but am currently not getting any data collected and surfaced to vROPS portal on vSAN dashboards.  I created a 'collector' in vROPS web interface under Administration -> Solutions -> clicked the Management Pack for Storage Devices and configured from there (see screenshots).  Is there any reason my dashboard tabs are tagged as BETA (I thought this had been pushed GA and the website I downloaded from said nothing about beta.

vROPS_vSAN_dashboards_broke0.png

vROPS_vSAN_dashboards_broke1.png

vROPS_vSAN_dashboards_broke2.png

vROPS_vSAN_dashboards_broke3.png

vROPS_vSAN_dashboards_broke4.png

vROPS_vSAN_dashboards_broke5.png

vROPS_vSAN_dashboards_broke6.png

I definitly DID NOT download this release here:

http://www.vmware.com/go/vrops4vsan-beta

But rather this one suggested from Rawlinson's site.

Cloud Management Marketplace | Solution Exchange

(release vmware-vcops-6.0-MPforStorage-6.0-2575852.pak)

Thoroughly perplexed, please advise.

Thx much, Kevin

9 Replies
greco827
Expert
Expert

The Beta status could be an oversight, but the data collection issue (depending on how long it has been) could be an incompatibility.  The Storage MP shows as compatible with vROps 6.0.2, but not 6.1.0.

Compatibility and Interoperability vRealizeOperations Management Pack for Storage Devices is compatible with the following software and hardware versions: · vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.2

https://c368768.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/product_files/23479/original/vR_Ops_MP_for_Storage_Devices_6.0.2...

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
whitey1123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Been running for a couple of weeks, figured if it took a day or two to start rolling up no biggie but that is not occurring.  Bummer, I have to downgrade my vROPS appliance (basically re-deploy which is a pill I can swallow).  Did the release of the Mgmt Pack for Stg Devices get released prior to a vSphere update and that is why the lock-step difference?

0 Kudos
whitey1123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it necessary to do this, I hear that in vROPS there is an integratrated/adopted into the framework stg mgmt pack but I sure as heck do not see the detailed vSAN dashboards in my 6.1.0 vROPS appliance?  Is this really the best method forward to get these insights to downgrade to vROPS 6.0.2?

TIA, Kevin

0 Kudos
whitey1123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still no info being populated to vSAN/NFS (disabled iSCSI/FcOE dashboards). 😞

Shutdown the 6.1.0 vrops appliance, unregistered the vrops (was actually listed as a vcops) extension from the vCenter mob and redeployed the 6.0.2 vrops appliance, setup collectors/adapters for vCenter/MPSD but no luv. 

Do I need to manually configure any widgets or edit properties and check 'self provider' or simple missing something in the manuals, I'm positive it is not intended for this to be difficult.

Any tips/suggestions of where to go from here are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

Known Issues · Some widgets are not automatically populated in the Virtual SAN dashboards Some widgets in the VirtualSANEntityUsage, VirtualSANDevice Insights, and VirtualSANCluster Insights dashboards are not automatically populated when you install the Management Pack for Storage Devices for the first time.

Workaround:Click on the Edit button in the widget and save the configuration

I would read through this entire doc if you haven't already.  It contains a dozen or so known issues.

https://c368768.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/product_files/23479/original/vR_Ops_MP_for_Storage_Devices_6.0.2...

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

I have the same problems. I read the releasenotes for the 6.0.3 version (VSAN is 6.1) and edited + saved each and every widget on the VSAN Dashboards (because none of the widgets showed anything at all). No dice. Still nothing.

When editing most widgets, I got this error message "Unable to restore from tag picker" which is also described as a known issue in the release-notes. The solution then described is "Workaround: Edit the dashboard and select the tags again manually."  What does that even mean?

Let's take the "VSAN 6 Entitiy Usage -> Host Adapter Throughput" Widget as an example. It's empty just like every other. When I edit the Widget, in the bottom,left, there is a small Tab called "Tag" (left to the "Metric" tab). According to the release-notes, I must "select the tags again manually". What Tags do I select then???

Honestly, This is a fresh install of VROPS 6.1 (with vSphere 6 U1) and MP4SD v6.0.3 and how much more effort do I have to put it to get even the basic functions of this MP4SD to work? The release-notes are often very uninformative and unclear at best (i've been working with VMware since ESX v2 so don't give me any Noob-advice please).

0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does it make any difference if you login as the local admin user?  I have this same problem when logging in as a user that has limited vCenter permissions.  I couldn't find anything stating that additional permissions were needed for viewing MPSD dashboards.

0 Kudos
MikeR34
Contributor
Contributor

You will want to ensure that you have shared the dashboards with the user account you are logging into with on VROPS.  By default the dashboards were probably loaded under the local Admin account and not shared with the particular user or user group you are using.  If you log in as Admin (local admin) you should see data populating in the dashboards.  if you do, follow this blog post on how to share the dashboard.  Share custom dashboard VMware vROps 6.0.x | Virtual10  I had this same issue when I was building out my lab and after sharing, all info is coming over now.

0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Been there, done that.  All my dashboards are shared to the default Everyone group.  "VC Shared" is also checked for them. We are strictly using vCenter logins, no LDAP import/etc.  I'm beginning to wonder if there was an assumption that users would be imported vs vCenter login.

0 Kudos