VMware Cloud Community
CarlTCraven
Contributor
Contributor

vRO 6.4 Advanced Capcity Report - Storage utilization

Hi I'm new to vRO and have a very specific issue.

I have created a custom View+Report for Capacity planning at the cluster level.

Report subject = Cluster Compute Resource

The issue I have is with the Storage metrics:-

Disk Space|Total disk Space

Disk Space|Total disk Space used (TB)

Disk Space|Allocation|Usable Capacity (TB)

Disk Space|Allocation|Capacity Remaining Value (TB)

The storage metrics include all storage for a cluster. I only want to include the shared datastores (not local disks), and ideally not the first two datastores (labelled HB1_... and HB2_...) although this is less important.

I have tried Googling for answers and played with creating a custom group. But whilst, I can get the correct Datastores in the custom group but I cant seem to get the metrics on that custom group.

any advice would be helpful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't think there's a good way to exclude specific datastores from those cluster metrics, but I have a few thoughts.  One option might be to use datastore metrics in the custom view.  If the subject of your view is datastores, you can exclude local datastores and datastores matching certain names using filters in the view.  You can put a summary row at the bottom to show the totals. When you run the report you can still select a cluster and it will include all the datastores in that cluster except the ones you filtered out of the view.  The report will have a lot more information with all the datastores listed and if your current report lists multiple clusters this probably isn't ideal.

If you don't need the local datastore metrics at all, you can put the local datastores into maintenance mode in vROps. This will stop collection on them and hopefully they will be excluded from the cluster metric calculations. I'm not certain if this will work, but if you want to try it you can put them into maintenance in the Inventory Explorer and wait a day or so to see if they are excluded from the cluster metrics. If this works, a more permanent approach could be to create a custom policy for them with a maintenance schedule that never ends and assign it to the group containing all of the datastores you want excluded.  New local datastores can be automatically added to the group and have the policy applied to them.

Finally, you could create supermetrics for the custom group to add up (sum) the disk space metrics for all the datastores in the group.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

It is one of the things that does not work well on the cluster view. All clusters storage will count all storage presented to the cluster and add it up. I have not found a way to exclude local datastores. The only way i know of is to go disk less servers but that is extreme.

The only level that you can exclude local datastores is if the subject is datastore then as dtaliafe has stated you can filter them out.

0 Kudos
CarlTCraven
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input that's saves me loads more time trying to find a solution that isn't there.

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos