VMware Cloud Community
Enrique
Contributor
Contributor

vCops orphan objects not clearing

Hello everyone,

Im working with a vCops 5.7 vApp version on a client, and in order to clear orphaned objects faster i found this KB to lower the values.

VMware KB: Removing non-existent virtual machines from the vCenter Operations Manager vApp

The problem is, i cant find this variable inside the controller.properties file.

deletionPeriodHours  or deletionPeriod

I changed both of the other variables, and objects didn't dissapear. It would make sense if its using the default value because its 15 days and it hasn't been 15 days since we made the change.

This is a vCops 5.0 (i think) upgraded to 5.6 and then upgraded to 5.7.

I checked on the vCops 5.6 (upgraded to 5.7) in our infraestructure and the variable deletionPeriodHours does appear.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Enrique,

Few suggestions:

1. Are you sure you are looking at Analytics VM and not UI VM?

2. Did you try adding the variables yourself  regardless of the fact they do not exist?

3. Did you restart the services/vApp to make the changes effective?

Thanks,

Alex D>

0 Kudos
Enrique
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Alex, thank you for your response.

As for your questions, yes, im definitly looking at the analytics VM. Also i did add the deletionPeriodHours variable that i should be the right variable for 5.7 but nothing happened.

I also restarted de vApp and the services. No luck on that matter.

EDIT:

It appears that we missed a variable called deletionPeriodInHours. It seems to be that we didnt see it on the console due to the colors.. I feel kinda dumb, but it happens.

We just changed the value to 1 and comented the line we previously added. We will have to wait 1 hour and see what happens.

If that was it, I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you have objects other than VMs that were orphaned?  Were they removed as well?

I had set those parameters, and it seemed to only clear the VMs - and as the article states "Virtual Machines" so I didn't give it much thought.

We had datastores and place holders (or other SRM clutter) and some other things I forget, that I finally just manually deleted.

0 Kudos