VMware Cloud Community
MarkWong
Contributor
Contributor

vCentre Operations Manager trial NullPointerException

Hi there,

I'm trialing the vCentre Operations manager before purchasing it. I've deployed it in my model environment and it's sort of working but I'm getting this java.lang.NullPointerException whenever I log in. Looking at the health map, it states to check the vCentre web service is running. I have no issues using the client or the web interface to log into my vCentre.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the logs in the trial vCOPs 5 to troubleshoot this further?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alexander_Dimi1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can go to Admin application and generate full log bundle:

1) go to http://<vcops_address>/admin

2) login with "admin" user name

3) go to Status tab

4) In the "Diagnostic Information" section (the one at the bottom) click Download button.

This will generate a zip file with all logs vcops produces.

Alternatively you can login to UI or Analytics VMs and explore /var/log/vmware and /data/vcops/log directories.

Hope this is helpful.

0 Kudos
MarkWong
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that Alex. Got the logs. Now trying to find the nullpointerexception that's causing the graphs to fail. Will report back what I find.

0 Kudos
StefanSkold
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same error. Freshly installed vc ops manager 5.0.3. Tried both in Chrome and IE9, same nullpointerexception at login and when I select my datacenter i the left menu (below "World").

Did you find any solution to this?

/Stefan
0 Kudos
MarkWong
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stefan,

No. I didn't get very far with the logs. Since this was a trial version and I was evaluating vCOPs vs vOPs, I didn't have too much time to spend on troubleshooting it. Speaking to our local Ops team, vCOPs was apparently a pain to set up, whereas for me, vOPs worked out of the box and had it running in 15 minutes.

As for now, I think I'm going to just let this slide unless there's any other compelling reason to go back. Sorry to say this, but I think it really fails as a trial version.

Mark

0 Kudos
StefanSkold
Contributor
Contributor

Allright, thanks for the information!

/Stefan
0 Kudos