VMware Cloud Community
JohnGibson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter Ops 5 Enterprise Windows version - How to connect to vCenter Server?

Im stumped....

Ive installed vCenter Ops Enterprise edition onto a Windows server, its up and working.

The next step for me would be to point it at our vCenter servers... I cant figure out how to do that.... any one done this?

From reading I need a vCenter server adapter, but I dont seem to be able to fine one.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

John, file a Support Request ... Apparently we have to get it to you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I realize that you've stated that you're using the standalone version ... in the other versions, you would go to hostname/admin then login and register the vCenter there.  I don't have a standalone version to check, but thought it was the same.

I'll see if I can double check for you ... otherwise, it would be hostname/custom for the URL, Environment > Configuration > Adapter Instances

once here, click the [+] box to add a new one ... pick your server instance, pick the VMware adapter ... and provide credentials.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
kmurthy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Jon is correct.

In the vApp, you will always add VC from the admin UI (https://UI-VM-IP/admin)

In the Standalone Windows/Linux installs, you will access the only available UI at http(s)://hostname. (there is no /custom URI; it's only available in the vApp). Follow rest of the instructions from Jon to add a VMware adapter instance.

0 Kudos
JohnGibson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

On the Standalone version there seems to be only these Adapters installed by default...

• vCenter Operations Adapter
  • Http Post
  • Container

None of those 3 sound promising.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

John, file a Support Request ... Apparently we have to get it to you.

0 Kudos
JohnGibson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, id pinged my BCS engineer earlier but ill let him know that.

0 Kudos
edgrigson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm slightly confused here - I thought vCOps was a vApp and deployed using the usual wizard but this post seems to imply that the Enterprise version is a standalone install? Is there anywhere I can find more detail about this?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are two releases:

vApp 5.0 which can be deployed and Licensed as all Versions (Standard, Advanced, Enterprise).

Standalone 5.0 which only has the "Custom" UI implemented, and the Custom UI is only avaialble in the Enterprise version.

edgrigson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great, thanks for the quick reply Jon. I've seen a few mentions of the custom UI so that makes sense.

Regards,

Ed

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you need the vmware vcenter adapter

get it from the official FTP: ftp.integrien.com

JohnGibson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

For info, after working with the Windows version and the vAPP version, the Windows version has been dumped/deleted and is not worh the effort, the benefit of using SQL and windows are so outweighed by stability issues and the lack of the vCenter integration and the ex-Cap IQ reporting features that its not worth using.  vApp version all the way from now on.

0 Kudos