VMware Cloud Community
RobCawood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter Operations still shows vmotioned VM's on original hosts

Hi All

After migrating machines from one host to another vCenter Operations still shows these VM's on their original hosts. How can I get vCenter Operations to pick up this change?

Thanks in advance.

Rob Cawood

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gbelur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rob,

We have seen cases in the past where the vCenter Operations inventory can be out of sync with the vCenter server inventory for a period of time. The two should get back in sync within an hour. If an hour is too long a time period restarting, as you discovered, will get the two back in sync.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
martyyatesnz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rob - I have the same issue and have logged a call with VM Support. Will keep you posted.

- Marty.

0 Kudos
RobCawood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Marty

I see you are from NZ... a bit of a coincidence Smiley Happy

I restarted the Operations VA and after that all the VM's are under the correct host. Obviously not an ideal scenario but if you need to report on something ASAP then you could do that.

Hopefully VMware will come back with a better alternative. Let me know if they do.

Rob

0 Kudos
gbelur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rob,

We have seen cases in the past where the vCenter Operations inventory can be out of sync with the vCenter server inventory for a period of time. The two should get back in sync within an hour. If an hour is too long a time period restarting, as you discovered, will get the two back in sync.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RobCawood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that...

Ours was out of date for days before i rebooted the VA. I will vmotion a machine and see if it updates automatically.

I guess the only issue is that if you are troubleshooting a bottleneck it can be difficult to identify that the host is constrained if the "red" VM's are showing on different hosts.

So just something to watch out for.

Rob.

0 Kudos
martyyatesnz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Support still looking over the logs. I am not holding my breath for any blinding breakthrough. Restarting the VM is still the best option....

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Rob,

We would like to further investigate this issue. Could you please send us the logs from VC Ops? Please follow the instructions in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1036655 to generate the logs.

--
Praveen Kannan

Product Manager

VMware, Inc.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Marty,

Could you please provide us the SR number for the case logged with VMware support? We would like to look into the logs...

Thanks!

--
Praveen Kannan

Product Manager

VMware, Inc.

0 Kudos
martyyatesnz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Support Request 11066757205

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Marty,

Thanks for sending the logs. We couldn't find much in the logs as it looks like the VC server was down and hence there was no update coming in.

Have you experienced this issue again from the last time you restarted the VC server?

--

Praveen.

0 Kudos