VMware Cloud Community
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCOPS 5.8 does not show items under a cluster

Hello,

vCOPS 5.8 is the version we are running. vCOPS has 3 vCenter registrations across our enterprise. On 2 clusters which are on 2 separate vCenters when I am inside vCops either via the plugin or web interface and I click /double click on the cluster and expect to see it expand and show the VM's that are in the cluster it does nothing.

On another cluster I double click and then see the cluster resources..  permissions look identical on all levels of the environments..  any ideas folks?

Paul.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
m80arm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys,

I was experiencing the same issue yesterday and just found this article this morning which refers to this KB article:

http://anthonyspiteri.net/?p=1140

VMware KB: ESXi/ESX hosts no longer present in the VMware vCenter Operations Manager inventory

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the image you will see our vCenter which is version 5.5 and underneath it a cluster of 2 hosts which are also ESXi 5.5 and they expand fine in the inventory on the left. Next you will see a 6 host ESXi 5.5 cluster which DOES NOT expand to show the hosts... but if you look at the bottom left environment section you can see that it does note that its a 6 host cluster and has all the correct amount of data stores etc. The final data center and host that shows in the image is an ESXi 5.1 host..

So why doesnt the 6 host cluster show up in the world inventory..  but the others do?

vCOPS_Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

seems like permissions issue, it's worth double checking.

When go to Environment view, do you have the missing objects there? If yes, can you drill down to them?

anything interesting in the log files? ("ciq.log" in the UI_VM and "collector.log" on the AnalyticsVM).

0 Kudos
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In environments view I see all VM's and data stores and can drill down in to them..

I have the vCOPS account set globally as administrator across the whole environment

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

so to sum up, only the inventory tree won't show them for some reason, right?

you can do logout-> clean-browser-cache -> login, might help....

any strange or long object names there? which are under that cluster...

do look at the "/var/log/vmware/ciq.log" file on the UI_VM, see for any clues

0 Kudos
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes thats right.. only the left hand side inventory tree does not expand to chow the cluster contents..  I can see all VM's and data stores in the environment view

0 Kudos
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I get to that log? when I login to the UI VM i cannot LS to see directories

0 Kudos
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ignore that.. I was at the wrong level

PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I spotted this.. 

12:08:38,439+0000 - maximum number of objects to process in single call for regular metrics is set to 100

[pool-4-thread-1] INFO

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

doesn't seem like it... something tagged with an ERROR?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would recommend eliminating any pre-existing conditions and switching the vC Ops collection use to a different user, a new user preferably. Give that user "Administrator" roll privileges at the root of the 'suspect' vCenter and allow propagation. Go in to the /admin interface and change that vCenter to use that new collection user. This procedure will tell us for certain that permissions aren't a factor, as this is the most common problem in your scenario. I look forward to your results.

Earlier in this thread, gradinka asked you to check your Custom UI > Environment Overview for the resources within that cluster. However, you didn't tell us if the 'host system' resources existed. You told us that VMs and Datastores exist, that is only part of the picture with respect to what permissions working. Go back in to the Custom UI > Environment Overview and tell us if the "Host System" resources exist that are 'missing' from your tree drilldown in the Advanced UI.

Thanks

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
HadiSantoso
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all

I have same problem with vcops 5.8, this problem appear after upgrade esxi from 5.1 to 5.5. For esxi 5.1 this problem not occured. In custom ui->environment  overview ->Resource Kind->" host system"  all host esxi 5.5 appear but status health is unknown and state is "in maintenance(manual)"

I have try : change collector user and  registration user, restart service vcop and restart vapp.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

5.8 added support for vCenter vSphere host maintenance mode sync'ing with vC Ops maint mode (not hugely advertised).

Is your vSphere host in maint mode? I could have gotten a little funky during the upgrade if the host was already in maint mode prior to upgrade.. go ahead and end maintenance mode in the vC Ops Custom UI and see what happen. If the resource switches back to main mode in 5 min, it's getting that info from vCenter.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I also have this problem -- Hosts not appearing under Clusters in left pane of VCops 5.8.0 dashboard. Driving me half-crazy for the last few days since I've been in looking over 5.8. Glad it's not just me having the problem. VCops is version 1448123 (5.8.0.0), disappearing ESXi hosts are all 1331820 (5.5.0) and VCenter is 1312290 (5.5.0).

Admin user doesn't matter -- (tried several that are admin users and also (re) applied the permissions).

It appears the 5.1 Hosts show up okay -- the problem hosts, for me anyhow, appear to be only those ESXi 5.5 servers in a VCenter 5.5 using VCops 5.8.0.

One note -- if I remove an ESXi 5.5 host from the VCenter cluster, wait a short while and then add that same Host back into the cluster, the ESXi host will appear properly for a short while in VCops 5.8 left pane of dashboard when cluster is expanded But then it disappears after a short while (5-10 minutes). I've noticed that two or three times -- the Host is there, then it's not.

Also, I've noticed if I add the Host back into the Cluster and then use Chrome to quickly click on and expand the Host in the right pane, the host will stay and not disappear for a longer time (may stay for as long as a few hours before disappearing). If I try to do that same trick with IE 8.0 the Host will disappear pretty quickly from under the Cluster in the VCops left pane of Dashboard.

Datto

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you gone in to the Custom UI and examine these Host System in question? Look at the collection state of the resource. Does it indicate "State: In Maintenance" ? If in maintenance, does it say 'manual' or something different?

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>> Look at the collection state of the resource.

>> Does it indicate "State: In Maintenance" ?

>> If in maintenance, does it say 'manual' or something different?

Thanks for the help. I was able to get the disappearing ESXi 5.5 hosts to show correctly now.

The disappearing ESXi 5.5 Hosts did show up in the listing under Environment Overview and each had said, "In Maintenance(Manual)". After highlighting one of the rows with a disappearing ESXi host name listed and clicking the toolbar button for "End Maintenance" collecting seems to start and that ESXi 5.5 host now appear in the left pane cluster listing of the VCops dashboard.

Any idea what would have cause those hosts to go into Maintenance Mode or not have come out of a Maintenance Mode operation?

I also noticed some of the previously disappearing individual ESXi 5.5 hosts are duplicated several times in the listing of objects under Environment Overview for unknown reasons. Some of those listings of the same ESXi host are showing as "Collecting" and some of the same ESXi host are showing as blank where Collecting should be shown. Probably not good?

Anyhow, thanks for helping me figure out how to get the ESXi 5.5 hosts to reappear again.

Datto

gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This issue seems worthy of a KB.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Datta, were the 5.5 hosts new installs or were they upgraded form 5.1? Was vC Ops upgraded to 5.8 after the hosts were running 5.5 or before they were 5.5?

0 Kudos
HadiSantoso
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have try and maintenance in custom ui and everything back to normal.

FYI VCOPS upgraded to 5.8 before host upgraded to 5.5.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
m80arm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys,

I was experiencing the same issue yesterday and just found this article this morning which refers to this KB article:

http://anthonyspiteri.net/?p=1140

VMware KB: ESXi/ESX hosts no longer present in the VMware vCenter Operations Manager inventory

Michael

0 Kudos