VMware Cloud Community
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

v5 vapp SNMP setup

Has anyone turned on snmp on the two vms with vapp v5? What are the best steps?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

SNMP is enabled and configured from the admin UI.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks jddias for your reply. I will need to be more clear in my question.... The snmp setup you see is for the snmp trap forwarding to a source. I have that part covered. What I wanted specifically is the best steps to enable snmp on the vms so that the EMC Ionix monitoring platform can discover and monitor those vms. So I need the best steps to enable snmp for outside vmware monitoring.

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The vSphere SNMP MIBs should provide some levels of information on the VMs. They are available here under the "VMware vSphere™ SNMP MIB Modules" section:

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/managementapi

Guest level monitoring would require setting up an SNMP agent in your guest OS, just like you would for a physical installation without vSphere.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Chris, thanks for the reply, but you can imagine that a *nix admin isnt going to want to take responsibility for snmp config on a server they didnt build and dont own. Seems like vmware should enable it with the wizard so that a comm string can be enabled. Maybe add that config option to the admin UI like trap forwarding.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

There is/was an SNMP Adapter for the vCOps Enterprise (Custom) UI, but it hasn't been updated in a while as it was designed around the vCOps 1.0.0 era.

This adapter has not been tested with the vCOps vApp, so it may not work as expected there. (e.g. there is no PAK file version)

Basically, you'd install the adapter, provide the decoding MIBs and have fun.

0 Kudos