mrc2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unknown HA error

I have the following error on my of my hosts:

HA agent on [host] in [cluster] in [datacenter] has an error:unknown HA error

How do I begin to troubleshoot this.

I have inherited this system so not all the settings were made by me.

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

mrc2011

Message was edited by: amaier650 Attachment removed.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you got some log files for us to look at?

It may be worth disabling HA on the cluster and re-enabling it and seeing what happens?

Also, you will want to make sure that all hosts in the cluster have identically PortGroups and all shared storage available.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You may want to remove that attachment - not good practice to publish attachments with company info included.

updated screengrab:

scrrengrab.png

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you got some log files for us to look at?

It may be worth disabling HA on the cluster and re-enabling it and seeing what happens?

Also, you will want to make sure that all hosts in the cluster have identically PortGroups and all shared storage available.

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

First thing I tend to focus on when HA fails is DNS. Make sure all of the vSphere hosts have updated and correct DNS entries.

From the vSphere Client -

1. Click on the Host
  2. Click the Configuration tab
  3. Select "DNS and Routing"
      1. Verify DNS entries exist and are correct
      2. Verify Host Identification information is correct
VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

check too hostname in DNS (FQDN)

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mrc2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks bulletprooffo.... turning it off got rid of the host error.

I will investigate what needs to be done before turning it on.

0 Kudos
sajitnair
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually you should be looking in Events under Tasks & Events for more detailed and accurate info. Sometimes HA is configured correctly but the summary section still shows error and does not get updated unless HA is reconfigured. I have seen issues with HA failing on other nodes when one of the host in the cluster is put into maintenance mode or even failing on the host which is exiting maintenance mode.

A good place to start troubleshooting

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100373...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100723...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100463...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101287...

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does the system log tell you what the error is?

Last time I check the log and it tells me that I don't have enough resource and it turns out that one of my host has only 2G of RAM and I need at least 3G of RAM for HA to be enabled on that host.

0 Kudos
Prime201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mrc2011 I've been through the same trouble

If you have followed bulletprooffool & chriswahl00 still not yet problem solved do as follows,

1. Disable the HA cluster.

2. Check wether the host in maintanence mode.

3. If you are running production VMs on the troubled host move them temporary to a another host.

4. Then restart the host. Bcos restarting management agent some times not solving the problem

5. Once the host restarted try Enable the HA cluster.

0 Kudos