VMware Cloud Community
nasadmin
Contributor
Contributor

symptom definition for specific object

Hi

I am looking for defining symptom on specific object  name  rather than on base object type .I could see a option in symptom definition to choose a specific object. How this option works ?

symptom.png

Thanks

4 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Symptom definitions can only be defined for object types and not for specific objects.  The button to select an object is only to help find a metric that's not in the list based on the selected object type.  I've never actually used that button, but that's how it's explained in the documentation:

"If a metric or supermetric is not listed in the common metric or supermetric list, based on the selected based object type, use Select Resource to inspect the metrics or supermetrics of a selected object so that you can locate the property that you must use to create the symptom. Even though you select a metric or supermetric for a specific object, the symptom definition is applicable to all objects with that metric or supermetric in your environment."

vRealize Operations Manager 6.1 Documentation Center

If you only want the symptom applied to a specific object, I think you'll have to disable the symptom in your default policy and create another policy with the symptom enabled and apply that policy to a group containing the specific object(s).

nasadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thanks for your reply

Is there any other way to create a symptom definition on a specific object without creating a new policy?

As you mentioned even super metric will be applied to all the objects when creating a symptom. But when you create a super metric on a specific object it has the hyperic object ID, server Id also. My expectation is when you apply this it should effect only the specific object. Are you saying that  when you select this super metric as symptom definition,still it will be applied to all the objects by changing  the corresponding resource name ,identifier and server id in the background

max(${adapterkind=HypericApiAdapter, resourcekind=AIX, resourcename=test.demo.local, identifiers={HypericObjectId=12102, ServerId=9d4804ee-7642-11e5-9742-0050569c1ad9}, metric=UTILIZATION|Cpu Usage})

Thanks

0 Kudos
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Actually there is no way to create a symptom definition on a specific object without creating a new policy and custom group.

If you only want the symptom applied to a specific object, you have to disable the symptom in all existing policies (because after symptom creation it is automaically enabled in all policies) and create another policy with the symptom enabled and apply that policy to a group containing the specific object(s).

0 Kudos
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Correct, the button is only to help find a metric that's not in the list, based on the selected object type

0 Kudos