VMware Cloud Community
WERFVB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

memory usage

on vrealize there are two memory tab. i didnt understand . which is true and Does the virtual machine need a memory ?  The recommended memory is very different ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oulyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I assume that the screenshot was taken on VM level (VM object selected)

Memory in Capacity remaining is memory Demand == Active memory (Amount of guest “physical” memory actively used).+ ESXi overheads

Memory Consumed is based on memory consumed metric == Amount of guest physical memory consumed by the virtual machine for guest memory. Consumed memory does not include  overhead memory. It includes shared memory and memory that might be reserved, but not actually used.

It's expected that memory consumed will be around 100% percent as VM marks all available memory as consumed by startup, demand is tend to under size memory usage on the VM as it takes into account only actively touched blocks. Looks for the post from e1 http://virtual-red-dot.info/how-to-monitor-windows-ram-usage-with-vrealize-operations-6-1/

Look for in-guest metricks thorugh epo or special metricks availible through vmware tools 10.0 with vcenter 6.0 u1 and vrops 6.3

Regards, Oleg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Greetings!

Looking at your screenshot, Memory Consumed option is the one you should consider in this situation. Yes, VM needs more memory.

However, my vROps does not show two tabs for memory. vROps version 6.4 Build 4635874

vROps-VM.JPG

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question as "Correct" or "Helpful" when you get the correct answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

Cheers!

-Shivam

0 Kudos
WERFVB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i say saying that What is the difference between ? What are you saying. ? you must edit policy.

I am looking for an answer !!!

0 Kudos
Oulyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I assume that the screenshot was taken on VM level (VM object selected)

Memory in Capacity remaining is memory Demand == Active memory (Amount of guest “physical” memory actively used).+ ESXi overheads

Memory Consumed is based on memory consumed metric == Amount of guest physical memory consumed by the virtual machine for guest memory. Consumed memory does not include  overhead memory. It includes shared memory and memory that might be reserved, but not actually used.

It's expected that memory consumed will be around 100% percent as VM marks all available memory as consumed by startup, demand is tend to under size memory usage on the VM as it takes into account only actively touched blocks. Looks for the post from e1 http://virtual-red-dot.info/how-to-monitor-windows-ram-usage-with-vrealize-operations-6-1/

Look for in-guest metricks thorugh epo or special metricks availible through vmware tools 10.0 with vcenter 6.0 u1 and vrops 6.3

Regards, Oleg

0 Kudos