VMware Cloud Community
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

java.lang.NullPointerException Message at Analysis View

Hi

I installed vCOPs 5 ova at my lab, and when I go to Analysis View I get this Error message: java.lang.NullPointerException

Another installation I did was an upgrade from CapacityIQ to vCOPs in another datacenter, and there is the same error at the same View.

Is this a bug? has anyone else had this error?

Regards and thanks in advance

Celia.-
0 Kudos
18 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure I understand where the NPE is showing up. Please attach a screenshot and also generate diagnostics.

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is a screenshot, I'll generate the log

Thanks

Celia.-
0 Kudos
critical3rr0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201336...

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

please write back, whether the KB solved your issue.

thanks!

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the message stopped showing by itself... weird... thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Celia.-
0 Kudos
LordCypher
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry to revive this old thread. I am experiencing this error at the moment.

Wether I manage fomr a web browser or the VI Client, I get the java.lang.NullPointerException anywhere I go.

Running the script did not solve the issue.

The only place making reference to this issue is this thread.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

What version of vC Ops are you using ? (5.0.3 ?)

0 Kudos
LordCypher
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are trying to deploy v5.0.3. I went through so many logs, I never found anything related to our issue. So now I decided to delete the vApp and we are trying to deploy v5.0.1, and see if we get the same issue to see if it might come from the rest of our infrastructure.

In the mean time, if you have any clues. Smiley Happy

Thank you!

**EDIT**

Ok, seems version 5.0.1 gives me the same exact error as soon as I open from my web browser. Clean install, no error whatsoever during deployement.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Run a MD5 check against your download.

Else...If you can log a support call. They will help you.

0 Kudos
LordCypher
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. MD5 check did not return me any problems.

One thing I am wondering. If I go tho alerts tab, I see an alert on my vCenter: Resource is down. Unable to connect to VC

So I did a test, I went to this page: https://vcenter-ip adress:8443

It is said that I should see an XML document appear in my browser, but instead I get a Apache Tomcat page saying that if I see that page, that apache is properly installed... Could this be the issue?

the vcops server uses this: https://vcenter-ip adress/sdk

When I open this in a browser, I get a certificate error, when I accep, I get a http 404 error

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have vCenter 5.1 loaded in my lab and I get an conenction(not error 404) to that address (https://vc-ip:8443)

/sdk gives me an error.

But that is not your issue. can you tried to re enter your user/passowrd for the vCenter registration ? (/admin interface)

0 Kudos
LordCypher
Contributor
Contributor

I attached an image of what i see when i go to https://vcenter-ip:8443

I tried multiple domain admin accounts on registration/collection credentials.

I think I will go and call support on this Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
LordCypher
Contributor
Contributor

Ok got it working.

I had to rework my IP Pool. DNS info was not entered. I entered domain Info, DNS servers. restared my vApp, now it's working Smiley Happy

Thank you! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also make sure your reverse DNS works correctly.

0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having this same issue, or at least a similar issue, I don't get the NULL error - I get an error that simply says Error Occurred Message:  then no message at all appears after.. no error message is returned.

DNS is defined in vAPP, everything works except the views in the analysis tab.

Concern regarding DNS:  do the host name of the UI and Analytics VM need to be in DNS?  and do these host  names need to be changed, the names really suck

Tried running the script in the Analytics VM - the result was a message stating that "the script should be run as root in the analytic VM"  but I am logged in as root in the analytic VM via SSH (definitely not in the wrong VM grrrrrrrrrrrr)

Rebooted the Analytics VM with no luck, problem still exists..

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To have the appliance configure proper DNS names, create both FORWARD and REVERSE DNS records for both the UI and Analytics VM. The next time they reboot, they'll do a rev lookup and rename their hostnames to the appropriate DNS name.

After the DNS records+config is straight and hostnames have picked up properly, try it again.

I realize this thread has a KB referencing a .sql script for a similar issue, but I need to say that you should really reach out to VMware support for this issue. Unless you're having the exactly problem described in the KB, the KB scripts shouldn't be run. Some of these scripts are QA'd with safety/control logic included, but many are ad-hoc that are designed for a specific scenario. This may add a couple days to remediating this problem, but opening a SR with VMware support is the most prudent course of action here. If it a common problem, you'll even add justification/incentive to getting a new KB created for your specific problem and help the rest of the vCOps community.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@

0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What host would I check this path?  ESXi host where the vCOPS appliances are running or one of the vCOPS appliances?  I've been swamped with other issues so sorry for not following up on this one, it is non critical.  But I do want it fixed.   I will follow up again shortly.

0 Kudos