VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

expired vcops license

I was running vcops enterprise  5.0 in evaluation mode but it expired. However I am now licensed for only vcops foundation 5.7.1 from the vcloud standard suite. how do I upgrade/downgrade existing 5.0 enterprise license to foundation 5.7.1? Do I need to setup completely from scratch?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi there,

I suggest to contact sales or support and discuss with them.

From the product perspective, you just have to apply the correct license and functionality will be "unlocked"

0 Kudos
INOBrad
Contributor
Contributor

did you happen to find a solution for this? I am in the same boat as I had a trial licence for vcops standard but now that it is expired, how do I get it to be foundation again?

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@INOBrad - what happens if you just remove the license from vCenter - if it's 5.6+ it should work in foundation mode.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you do indeed own vcloud suite standard, you are entitled to vCOPS Standard, not vCOps Foundation. vCOps Foundation is the free/lowest licensed version.

If your licensing is removed, or it expires, it will revert back to foundation mode. Note that if this happens, only your vCenter adapter will continue collecting (as per foundation capabilities).

If you're still running 5.0 - may I ask why you haven't upgraded to v5.6+? If you are indeed evaluating it, you should be evaluating the current functionality rather than something 1+ years ago.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
INOBrad
Contributor
Contributor

ahh, you both got me on the right track. What I did to fix it was go into vcenter licensing and right click vcops and said change license key, then moved the license to the evaluation license. After that, I had to go into the vcops/admin portal and under the registration tab, I clicked update and forced it to reregistered with vcenter and then rebooted the appliance. After that, the registration tab now said foundation and listed it as licensed. thanks all.

0 Kudos
INOBrad
Contributor
Contributor

just a note @mark.j, when my license did expire it just started printing "License Expired" all over the screen, so I will say it definitely did not just switch back to foundation mode (which in my opinion, it should do). Also, I am not running 5.0 (I just upgraded to 5.7 from 5.6), but just happen to stumble upon this post when I was looking for an answer. Thanks again                   

0 Kudos