VMware Cloud Community
verto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

capacity memory

I have one virtual machine . now I want to learn that . i must add more memory on this vm or i should remove 1 gb or 2 gb memory from virtual machine. please can you say it . what can i do . i didnt understand this issue.

Where can I see . which chapter or tab ? please help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With your memory demand so low, and stress on the VM being null, it is apparent that the VM in question which has 12GB RAM is not utilizing much of it on a regular basis.

Assuming you are accounting for spikes in memory demand, the server can likely be downsized quite a bit.  If the VM is not making actual read and writes to physical memory, then it doesn't need it.

That being said, if there are processes like java or SQL which have a certain amount allocated to them, then you would want to discuss this with the team that supports the application before reducing the memory.

I'd start by comparing what the OS is reporting as memory in use compared to the hypervisor and taking it from there.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
verto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update please help for my question

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

vrops is saying you can have 2.2 GB ram assigned to the VM and it will work ok as it is oversized. Be careful as vrops monitors "Hot" memory pages on the host that the VM uses. This may be different to what the app in the VM is doing. Make sure you know what the app needs before reducing the memory. If the app needs a certain amount of memory and only uses it when it needs it vrops may not account for this and reducing the vm memory could cause the app to not work.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With your memory demand so low, and stress on the VM being null, it is apparent that the VM in question which has 12GB RAM is not utilizing much of it on a regular basis.

Assuming you are accounting for spikes in memory demand, the server can likely be downsized quite a bit.  If the VM is not making actual read and writes to physical memory, then it doesn't need it.

That being said, if there are processes like java or SQL which have a certain amount allocated to them, then you would want to discuss this with the team that supports the application before reducing the memory.

I'd start by comparing what the OS is reporting as memory in use compared to the hypervisor and taking it from there.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos