VMware Cloud Community
amurrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Print Queue Length

Is it possible to monitor, trend, alert on Windows Print Queue Length?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sure, you just need to get that data from somewhere monitoring the GuestOS. This could be Hyperic, SCOM, etc. If you own vC Ops Suite Advanced or higher, you can run Hyperic and monitor the GuestOS, which should cover the Windows print service.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
amurrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am running Hyperic.  When looking in the hyperic portal for that host, I don't see Print Queue in any of the data groups.  Is that something I need to add?

0 Kudos
amurrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

any help here?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You'd likely need to add a plug-in to capture the specific window perf stats on the print queue. OOTB, Hyperic does generic process-level stuff, so the additional plug-ins are needed for other application monitoring. In this case, you can dev a simple script to check out the windows print service and report back on queue length.

VMW content: vFabric Documentation Center

Some generic content here to give you a general idea -  open-source version of hyperic: https://support.hyperic.com/display/hyperforge/Monitor+Windows+Performance+Counters

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos