VMware Cloud Community
td9857
Contributor
Contributor

When createing alert to pull disk usage vrops does not see all disks

I am trying to creat an alert that will notify me when a disk partition reaches a certain point.  I have UNIX and Window systems and I do have it working to a point. My issue is that it seems that Vrops is not seeing all the disk partitions for the window servers. It does see all the current UNIX,  Wondering if there is a way to manually input the partitions or if there is a way to force vrops to auto-discover the partitions. Would really like to auto-discover. included is screen shot of what i am seeing.  Thanks for any help provided

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's not a vR Ops question, it's a VM Tools question. VM Tools doesn't report ALL mount point in Linux, nor does it recognize Windows mounts other than drive letters (e.x. NTFS folder mounts).

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
td9857
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it is reporting all the UNIX and Linux Mount points (each mount is it own vmdk).  The windows server drives that  it is not being reported are also separate vmdk's that are assigned to the VM and mounted as standard drive letters and formatted as NTFS.  Seems that it is only finding the first disk on the windows servers. Sorry if i was not very clear.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you're using vROPs 6.0 you can install hyperic agents on your OSes and create hyperic instance on vROPs which connected to hyperic server.

Hyperic's agent will discover mounts and you'll find it in hyperic server and vROPs too.

New version on vROPs 6.1 includes hyperic/EPOPs agent, so you don't have to use hyperic.

0 Kudos
td9857
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Boris - we are running an older version 6.0.1.252316 Build 2523163.  We are running under an evaluation license which really does not matter here so we will download and upgrade our environment to 6.1. One quick question with the new version will I need to also install the agent on the VM's or will the data populate automatically?  Thanks for your advise.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, for vROPS 6.1 you should install 6.1 agent. Agent gives you deep details about OS (e.g. processes, services that run on OS)

0 Kudos
td9857
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks that is what I expected.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Great.

Please update the post status.

0 Kudos
Skins4ev4
Contributor
Contributor

The older vCops didn't need any type of agent.  I am seeing the same thing on my new vRops install.  It seems ridiculous to have to use the hyperic agent for mounts as well as other drive letters.  Basic Guest OS drive space monitoring should be the first dashboard that is presented out of the box in my opinion.

0 Kudos
td9857
Contributor
Contributor

I am going to hold off on installing agents as I agree this should just work with requiring agents. I have over 1000Vm's and through I suspect it can be scripted seems that there should be an automated process to get this information. I will be sending everything to support to see if we can get it to work.

0 Kudos