VMware Cloud Community
MattG
Expert
Expert

What is the best way to migrate vCops between clusters?

I installed vCops into an existing cluster while I was building out the new environment.  Now I want to migrate it to the new cluster.  It will be on the same network in a different cluster.

There does not seem to be a way to migrate the vApp?

Thanks,

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
12 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2031889

It's possible to re-create the "vapp" container ... but since a "vApp" is a resource pool with some additional controls, you can't "migrate" a resource pool.

MattG
Expert
Expert

Thanks. I will try to migrate it tomorrow.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

How can I recreate the vApp container?

-MattG

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Very similar way to making a Resource Pool (vApp is a resource pool, plus power on/off controls).

MattG
Expert
Expert

If I take my existing vCops in Cluster1 and export it to OVF and then try to re-import it into Cluster2 OVF import prompts me to fill in the IP address details.

Should I just fill in the requested info? Will this then match up with the underlying exported vCops VMs and work correctly?

Thanks,

-MattG

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

I was able to just import it,  answer the IP info during the OFV import and then power it on.

Works fine,  didn't skip a beat.

Thanks,

-MattG

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

do you know what the exact steps were to do this, and was the boot order preserved?  I'm curious about exact steps for testing this internally.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

I am not sure about the boot order.

I exported the vApp via vSphere client in OFV format.   I then imported it to new cluster.  When it prompted me for IP info that is presented when deploying the vApp I entered the existing info.   Powered it on and it worked.

If you send me specifics I will look into boot order.

-MattG

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

edit settings on the vapp itself, and then go into the second tab ... it's about start order, waiting for tools.

mine is a 'medium' deployment, and looks like this (attached)

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Here you go (small deployment):

2136617.png

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

then that export/import worked really well.

It may not be practical for some people that have TBs of data to move in a larger configuration.

0 Kudos
JCV
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a procedure to migrate the VCOPS vApp to a new cluster in a different datacenter? We are doing hardware refresh, upgrading to ESXi5, and also need to upgrade the memory and vCPUs on the VCOPs vApp. We have about a TB of data that we would like to keep and not have to redeploy from scratch....if possible.

0 Kudos