VMware Cloud Community
kdmahskey
Contributor
Contributor

What is the actual use of vROPS "Test Adapter Instance connection" API

In my current task I need to test the connection to some adapters in vROPs. From the UI it is very easy and straight forward,  got to 
"Data Sources > Integrations > Account Types" and there you will get an option to "VALIDATE CONNECTION"

However as I have to automate it I was check Rest API guide for vROPS and found "Test Adapter Instance connection" API in the Adapter section. After spending some time with this API now I am wondering what is the actual purpose of this API:

Unlike from the vROPS UI, where we can use the existing credentials, this API requires a credential section in the body which should have a new credential name, username, password etc. and when you provide it, it creates a new Credential instance in the vROPS and tests the connection to intended adapter through this new creds.
So instead of testing if my existing credentials works I ended up testing that connection works with newly provided credentials(so indeed I have tested that my creds works or not)

Moreover by mistake if I provided wrong credentials the API does result into error but creates a new Credential Instance with the provided wrong credentials.

I am wondering how can I test that my connection to adapter still works with the currently set credentials?

vROPS API Documentation:
https://{{vrops_fqdn}}/suite-api/doc/swagger-ui.html#/Adapters/testConnectionUsingPOST

KMahskey
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies