VMware Cloud Community
srgdr
Contributor
Contributor

What-IF storage policy scenarios in vROPS

Hi guys,

I'm trying to create / find a report in VROPS to determine what the space savings could possibly could be if you had to amend the current storage policy associated to a group of VM's running on vSAN. As an example, pull report for all "Dev VM's", vROPS should read the current storage policy associated and then see what it would be if you had to amend it - like going from RAID-1/5/6 and vice versa.

Anyone have something similar or potentially point me in some things I could try?

I know there is a "what-if" scenario built-in into vROPS, but that either assumes adding or removing VM's, not assessing the storage policy savings for potential ingest or savings.

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Maybe some screenshots will help to understand what you are doing.  If this helps using Custom Profiles allows you to see how many more VMs you can fit based on Storage if you like.  You can set many profiles each with different disk size.  It will show up as a metric

http://www.vmignite.com/2019/05/vrops-7-5-how-to-create-a-custom-profile-metric/

Personal blog VMignite.com
0 Kudos
srgdr
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @lannguyen ,

Thank you for the response.

To perhaps elaborate on the context, I'm trying to estimate potential growth or savings based on current storage profiles / policies assigned to VM's from vSAN. As an example, if I had to query / pull a report of a bunch of VM's to see what their current usage is based on the assigned storage policy, what the potential saving or intake would be if that had to be amended. Either via a report or dashboard view. So select all DEV VM's, DEV VM's have RAID-1, what is my saving If I change it to RAID-5 (as an example). Or other way around - they are currently on RAID-5, If I change them to RAID-1, what does my ingest look like on the vSAN side.

I'm not sure how in depth vROPS can read the object distribution on the vSAN backend - that could make it slightly harder. But that is the context in a nutshell - hope that clarifies it somewhat

0 Kudos
lannguyen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I had to do it, I would just do the math myself and use expressions to show RAID 1, Raid 5, etc on a view.  Lets say Raid X is normal, but putting it in Raid Z you will lose 60% of what Raid X is plus 50GB overhead.  I would use expressions to say (sum)*.4+50 for example. 

http://www.vmignite.com/2019/03/vrops-6-7-how-to-use-expressions-to-make-metrics-more-useful/

Personal blog VMignite.com
0 Kudos