VMware Cloud Community
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware View Operation Manager

Hi,

Need some help?

I have just installed VMware Operation Manager and now I'm in the process of configuring View Adapter. Have completed all the step in the installation guide but keep getting the following error when I test the vCenter Operations Enterprise Server settings.

Connecting to the vCenter Operations server...FAILED (Failed to contact the vCenter Operations Server)

Failed to connect to the vCenter Operations Server.

error.jpg

There are no firewall rules in place between the servers and I have entered the correct IP address and credential but cannot get the View Adapter to connect.

Anyone have any advice what could be wrong?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jddias
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Make sure you're using the IP/FQDN of the UI VM for starters.  Also, use the "admin" login.

Visit my blog for vCloud Management tips and tricks - http://www.storagegumbo.com
0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have tried both the IP and the FQDN of the UI VM without success and I'm also using the admin account.

I can connect the the web interface and from within vCenter with out any problems just can't get the View Adapter to connect.

0 Kudos
Kingie
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if you have resolved this issues but came across it and I have had similar problems so thought I would post for any passers by who see this.

Things to take in to consideration:

• You need to have an Enterprise licence to use the View adapter.  Ensure this is licences correctly in vCenter and also that your vcops server is acknowledging the licence as follows (you can see this from the admin portal from the "Status" tab under the licence details section):

Effective License SKU = vCenter Operations Management Suite Enterprise Edition 5.6 (or whatever version you are using)
Effective License Mode = Advanced (not sure why this is not showing as Enterprise but it is working)
Effective License Status = Licensed

You may need to restart the vcops services from this same status window for any licence changes to take effect.

• It is trying to communicate on port 443 (or 80 if you choose to) so ensure that you can get through on that port and you don't need to put in a proxy bypass entry etc.

Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos
Thomas_Hume
Contributor
Contributor

I will be out of the office until Monday the 28th of January 2013 with no

access to e-mail. If you require urgent assistance please contact the

Corporate Infrastructure Service Desk on 01563 576806 or

cisd@east-ayrshire.gov.uk.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Kingle is incorrect, vCops for View is a separate product from vCOPS and can only be licensed by buying vCops for View.

Make sure that you have the correct supported version of vCops, 5.6 for example is not yet supported.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Kingie
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies if I was not clear, what I was trying to say was that you need to have an Enterprise version of vCops to use the View adapter.  If you have only licensed it for a lower version then you cannot use the View adapter and I guess it will fail to find an Enterprise vCops server.

With regards to supported versions, as per the release notes for vCops for View 1.0.2, this now supports vCops 5.6.0 (this only came out on 24th Jan 2013)

https://www.vmware.com/support/vcops-view/doc/vcops-view-102-release-notes.html

0 Kudos