VMware Cloud Community
gruberaaron
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Disk Space Report incomplete

I am relatively new to VROPS and have been exploring some of the reports. One of which that I want to use is the Virtual Machine Disk Space report. However, when I run the report I have a lot (1,183 machines) that just have dashes ( - ) in the columns. The odd thing is that if I pull up one of the VMs in VROPs and manually look at its disk usage the numbers are there. Currently, only 773 machines are reporting data for disk space. Not really sure what to make of it. Normally I would call support but due to some interesting downgrading of licenses I am not sure if we even have support.

Version 6.0.1.2523163

Build 2523163

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like a licensing issue

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Do you tried to restart the adapter ?

Check Inventory Explorer if the collection it is ok (Collection State)

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
gruberaaron
Contributor
Contributor

The system is collecting fine and we have restarted the entire appliance a couple times. The data is there as it shows up on a per object basis however when a report is ran, it is not pulling that data in.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you get and post here a screenshot of this virtual machine inside of vrops ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
gruberaaron
Contributor
Contributor

It seems I am not able to find an example. I think the one I found last time may have been a fluke. I checked one of the VMs that had no data in the report and it does not have any data when I browse to it in VROPS.

On a side note, I upgraded VROPS to 6.2.0.3528905 yesterday hoping that my issues were just bugs.

0 Kudos
gruberaaron
Contributor
Contributor

You may be correct on this however I did not apply the licensing and it seems to contradict itself.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

With you only having 64 licenses but using 158, I'd say there is a very good chance this is impacting your data collection and reporting.  It could be something else, like latency from a remote collector (depending on whether the metric you are reporting is a "real-time" metric), but without the licensing being taken care of, it can't be eliminated.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert

It could also be a metric not valid for an object.  Can you share a snippet of the report that shows the metrics that are showing dashes in the report?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am fairly sure this is due to licensing. Have in mind you will be able to see Objects from the "trial" period, so you might see more Objects than you are licensed to monitor, but they will not get collected data from. I have also experienced that having licensing issues, you might get data collected partially, and With random VMs/Hosts excluded, because Collector stops collecting when licensing limits are reached, and what VMs this will affect is depending on how when collecting started.

0 Kudos
gruberaaron
Contributor
Contributor

I removed the Socket based license and left the VM based license and it did not clear up the issue. The VM based license is valid for 6000 VMs and I am only consuming ~2150 licenses. This did not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos