VMware Cloud Community
ITJef
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Viewing Historic Data between a time period

We have vrealize operations manager 6.6 and we are using it with vmware horizon 7.2. We would like to be able to run a "report" and pull details of past sessions? Is this possible? We would like to search for a user/machine and select a time period and be able to pull details like CPU usage, memory usage, round trip latency, and packet loss during that specific time period. I can see how to view this data for active sessions but we need to be able to see the historic data.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is possible to view the historical data as a report:

1. Select the Content view after logging to vROPs.
  2. Create a View with the required metrics to monitor, selecting the Objects for which historical data is required. For more information, refer to Using vRealize Operations Manager Views.
  3. While creating the view, under presentation section, select "List".
  4. Under subject choose Virtual Machine and select the appropriate metrics. Select the time period under "time settings".

Use this View to create the report.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you're using persistent desktops this should be possible.  With non-persistent desktops the user typically gets a new desktop each time they login and this creates a new session object.  To see the inactive sessions I think you'll have to create a custom dashboard that lists all VDI Desktop Session objects.  You can then search the list for the user and have the info displayed in other widgets.

If I remember correctly, the problem I've run into using a View for this is that when you select the scope for the View you can't select the entire environment.  You can select Active Sessions, but that won't show you the inactive ones.  You can select a pool, but it will only show you sessions for that pool.  I don't think I was able to get all the inactive sessions in a View.  A custom dashboard might be your best bet.

0 Kudos
gjanardh
Contributor
Contributor

This approach shows only the transformed summary (min, max, last, etc) for chosen time range. Is there a solution to list all historic metrics, instead of transformed/summarized date like

Name timestamp CPU|IO Wait (%) CPU|Demand (%)

myVM 10/25/2017 12:16 0.0001 3.14

myVM 10/25/2017 12:21 0.0002 0.98

myVM 10/25/2017 12:26 0.0001 0.96

myVM 10/25/2017 12:31 0.0002 0.96

myVM 10/25/2017 12:36 0.0001 0.98

myVM 10/25/2017 12:41 0.0002 0.96

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There's an option in the View configuration under "group by" to break it down into time intervals.  This will break the list down into intervals, but I don't think you can get every historical metric like this.  Another option is to create a trend View, which will show a graph of every data point.  If you create a CSV report from the trend view it lists every metric used to draw the graph.

0 Kudos