VMware Cloud Community
slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View with Per VM CPU/MEM vHardware Allocation Changes?

I'm having trouble pulling a report/view for management... they are looking for a list of Per VM how much virtual hardware assignment CPU or RAM has increased or decreased over the last year (or since VM creation). For instance something like this:

VM NameCPU Delta
Initial CPUCurrent CPUMemory Delta (GB)Initial Memory (GB)Current Memory (GB)
VM1+123+448
VM2+426044
VM3-21210-61812
VM(n)..................

I know the delta math can easily be done in excel, but I can't figure a way to get the Initial and Current numbers that I need, out of vROps...  Anyone know if this is possible, and how to do so?  if not, are we using the wrong product for this type of thing?  any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

1. Create a view with the Virtual machine as the subject.
  2. select properties then Configuration, Hardware and number of virtual CPU's ( this will give you just the number and no text after it for easy excel formulas)
  3. Add two of the properties to the list
  4. select the first one in the list and rename it to Initial cpu and the second to current
  5. Change the transformation for the initial to Minimum and the current to last
  6. Change the time settings to 1 year

This will show you the min cpu and the latest the VM has had over the last year. The problem is it wont reflect if a VM has change multiple times up and down.

if it started with 8 and dropped to 4 then went to 8 again you will see a min value of 4 and a latest of 8

If you started with 16 and went to 8 and it is still 8 the it will show you the min of 8 and latest of 8

The only way i know of to see changes like that is with a metric chart but does mot translate very well into a report

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

1. Create a view with the Virtual machine as the subject.
  2. select properties then Configuration, Hardware and number of virtual CPU's ( this will give you just the number and no text after it for easy excel formulas)
  3. Add two of the properties to the list
  4. select the first one in the list and rename it to Initial cpu and the second to current
  5. Change the transformation for the initial to Minimum and the current to last
  6. Change the time settings to 1 year

This will show you the min cpu and the latest the VM has had over the last year. The problem is it wont reflect if a VM has change multiple times up and down.

if it started with 8 and dropped to 4 then went to 8 again you will see a min value of 4 and a latest of 8

If you started with 16 and went to 8 and it is still 8 the it will show you the min of 8 and latest of 8

The only way i know of to see changes like that is with a metric chart but does mot translate very well into a report

slanger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow - that's the type of simple solution I knew I was missing somehow.  Thank you - this will save me a lot of time!!!

0 Kudos